Peaceful oddballs for a 50g community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No rope fish, don't get the rope fish. Really no joke don't do it, they get three feet and eat anything that's fits in their mouths. I HIGHLY suggest against getting an elephant nose, like previously stated they're aggressive, also they're pretty hard to care for and they have special dietary requirements.

I haven't heard anyone with a elephant nose in a community tank that hasn't ended poorly.

Thanks for answering everything! I'm trying to decide between a single rope fish or a few Kuhlii, now. I'm pretty disappointed that the puffers would pick on my angles, but I think I'll get myself a tank for a single puffer pair in that case, since they are territorial.
I've heard mixed things about the Elephant Nose, some saying they're perfectly fine in community tanks and some saying they're bullies. I think I'm going to risk it.
Thanks again, really!

I wouldn't risk it if it was my tank, with other fish they will either be aggressive or starve that's why I only have him.
I feed him at night in the dark then get up early in the morning before daybreak to feed him again. These aren't easy fish too care for as others have also stated. My tank is cleaned 50 % every 4 days too keep parameters safe for him.
I don't want to sound rude but it's unfair on the fish to just take a risk.

Dont get a rope fish! You will need to buy live food every day to feed it. They grow giant.

Not true. Mine won't even eat live food! He terrified of it!!!:). Yes they get big but because if their body types they don't require a super huge tank. I would highly recommend one, they are awesome:)

Ropefish get about three feet so that's no better than a ray

The have a much lower bio load than a ray a 3' long rope is different than a three foot wide disk.

The gold nugget pleco you mentioned before would do perfectly. Plecos are more common so it wasn't suggested as an odd ball. but there are allot of rare an unique plecos out there.

Gold nugget pleco is a rather difficult fish to keep IME. It is omnivorous and needs more meaty foods than just algae wafers. These are not yet bred in captivity iirc and you'll see a lot of specimens at pet stores that are half starved already. Watch for sunken eyes and sunken belly, and if at all possible, watch the fish eat before you buy it. These tend to have a poor survival rate in captivity.

What about a school of hatchetfish? They are pretty odd looking. Does it have to be a larger fish?

Well, I guess that's a sad 'no' to the elephant nose.
Definitely going with a rope fish and a gold nugget. I've always offered my cats freeze dried blood worms along with the leftovers from their tank mates, tank algae, and wafers, so I'm not worried about that. Nice to know they often come unhealthy, though! Definitely keeping an eye out for that.

I'm getting a full school of hatchets, so I'm looking for a "true" oddball. Something that makes you jump when you first notice it. I guess my oddball will have to be a rope fish for now, as no other large oddies fit my tank

There is major differences between a Multipunctata and an upside down. The S. Nigriventris (upside down) literally swims upside down most of the time and has more of a short stubby looking body and can be very shy. It looks like this,
The Multipunctata looks like this,

More of a social catfish with white tips on the fins.
Both cats are non aggressive and are compatible with just about anything even other cats and plecos. Having owned both cats I've never seen competition for food.

You've lost me. What's the common name for the second cat? It's absolutely beautiful.

The common name is Cuckoo Squeaker. It's name comes from the Cuckoo bird because of the similarities in breeding habits. The catfish is usually housed with Cichlids and will often breed when the Cichlids breed. It'll wait until a female Cichlid lays her eggs and then go and lay it's eggs there as well. The fish, thinking that her eggs are in danger will then scoop up all of the eggs and carry them in her mouth until they hatch all the while not knowing there are catfish eggs in there as well.

Don't get a ropefish by the way. A 50 gallon is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too small for it

Actually african dwarf frogs are unsuitable for the 50 gallon, African dwarfs can only be in a tank 12 inches tall max, as they need to go up for air, 18 inches tall is too much, and will stress out the frog or tire it out

They get quite large no?

They get large, but they aren't active nor will they lay in a straight line. It's like a snake. You can put snakes in cages that they are much much longer then and you can rope fish in tanks that are at least they're body length. Sometimes less.

But then you've got it's predatory habits to contend with. And I still do not condone putting them in anything lower than 125 gallons but I do see your point.

Back
Top Bottom