Peaceful oddballs for a 50g community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about getting an Elephant Nose, a few teeny puffers and/or some Kuhlii Loaches to go in a community tank of angels, hatchets, danios and killies.
Would these be suitable?
Would a fire eel be compatible?
Would a dragon goby be compatible?
Would a freshwater moray be compatible?
Would a freshwater ray be compatible?

What other oddballs (EXCLUDING GOBIES ) would work in this type of community tank?

Dragon gobies are brackish fish that don't survive well in freshwater setups, same with the moray eel they're brackish not fresh. Fire eels also get huge, much too big for a 55

Elephant Nose - yes
a few teeny puffers - no they will pick at your angels
Some Kuhlii Loaches - yes
Would a fire eel be compatible? - no to big
Would a dragon goby be compatible? - no brackish
Would a freshwater moray be compatible? - No brackish hard to keep in captivity will eat other fish.
Would a freshwater ray be compatible? - No needs really big tanks

You could try ropefish, hill stream loach or butterfly fish?

Hillstreams require a faster moving water movement which may not be suitable with Angels. Why exactly does it have to be an oddball? There are many beautiful fish that ate regularly seen in the trade. I'm a catfish lover and will often suggest as such so I would recommend a S. Multipunctata. They don't grow too large and get along quite well with just about anything.

Hillstreams require a faster moving water movement which may not be suitable with Angels. Why exactly does it have to be an oddball? There are many beautiful fish that ate regularly seen in the trade. I'm a catfish lover and will often suggest as such so I would recommend a S. Multipunctata. They don't grow too large and get along quite well with just about anything.

True forgot about the fast moving water. Thanks for the correction.

Elephant Nose - yes
Would a freshwater moray be compatible? - No brackish hard to keep in captivity will eat other fish.

Listen to this poster.

Ropefish get about three feet so that's no better than a ray

I've had my elephant nose for nearly two years, he definitely isn't an community fish. When he matured he attacked my angelfish and then my the other tank mates, he is an aggressive fish. His tank is just him and kuhli loach that he literally just puts up with. In my experience they need species only tanks that's why I only have him.

I've read a book saying they need to be kept in species only tanks. Really random sorry...

I've read a book saying they need to be kept in species only tanks. Really random sorry...

You're right, i did try more than one elephant but he harassed them badly.
I even tried housing him with a 4 inch Ebjd and he beat it up. They really need there own tank.
No need to apologise ;)

I'm thinking about getting an Elephant Nose, a few teeny puffers and/or some Kuhlii Loaches to go in a community tank of angels, hatchets, danios and killies.
Would these be suitable?
Would a fire eel be compatible?
Would a dragon goby be compatible?
Would a freshwater moray be compatible?
Would a freshwater ray be compatible?

What other oddballs (EXCLUDING GOBIES ) would work in this type of community tank?

Fire eel gets to big.
Dragon goby brackish.
No freshwater moray eel exists.
Sting rays can be 100-20000$, and none can fit in such a small tank.
Most Killies need a species tank.

Freshwater snowflake eels exists. Well not fresh but brackish

Elephant Nose - yes

Thanks for answering everything! I'm trying to decide between a single rope fish or a few Kuhlii, now. I'm pretty disappointed that the puffers would pick on my angles, but I think I'll get myself a tank for a single puffer pair in that case, since they are territorial.
I've heard mixed things about the Elephant Nose, some saying they're perfectly fine in community tanks and some saying they're bullies. I think I'm going to risk it.
Thanks again, really!

Thanks for answering everything! I'm trying to decide between a single rope fish or a few Kuhlii, now. I'm pretty disappointed that the puffers would pick on my angles, but I think I'll get myself a tank for a single puffer pair in that case, since they are territorial.
I've heard mixed things about the Elephant Nose, some saying they're perfectly fine in community tanks and some saying they're bullies. I think I'm going to risk it.
Thanks again, really!

Dont get a rope fish! You will need to buy live food every day to feed it. They grow giant.

I actually wanted that cat, but I've only heard it under the name "upside down catfish"! Now that I'm looking at a Gold Nugget Pleco, I'm not sure if I want to put the two of them together. With omnivore and algae tablets, would they compete for food?? Having a sparking tank but two hungry suckers wouldn't be worth it.

I want an oddball because I'm making the "focus" of the tank angelfish, as they're my mom's favorite, but I want to have something STRANGE and eye-catching and unique for me. Just something that makes people go "WOAH WHAT IS THAT", while also being a fish I find attractive/so-ugly-it's-adorable.

Dragon gobies are brackish fish that don't survive well in freshwater setups, same with the moray eel they're brackish not fresh. Fire eels also get huge, much too big for a 55

Well that's a bit poo. Ah well, thank you for telling me!

There is major differences between a Multipunctata and an upside down. The S. Nigriventris (upside down) literally swims upside down most of the time and has more of a short stubby looking body and can be very shy. It looks like this, PicsArt_1367042106349.jpg
The Multipunctata looks like this,
20130327_122627.jpg
More of a social catfish with white tips on the fins.
Both cats are non aggressive and are compatible with just about anything even other cats and plecos. Having owned both cats I've never seen competition for food.

Back
Top Bottom