Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Nuclear Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 88
Peaceful oddballs for a 50g community tank?

I'm thinking about getting an Elephant Nose, a few teeny puffers and/or some Kuhlii Loaches to go in a community tank of angels, hatchets, danios and killies.
Would these be suitable?
Would a fire eel be compatible?
Would a dragon goby be compatible?
Would a freshwater moray be compatible?
Would a freshwater ray be compatible?

What other oddballs (EXCLUDING GOBIES ) would work in this type of community tank?
__________________

__________________
5g betta - 10g community - 50g community in planning
Nuclear Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Dragon gobies are brackish fish that don't survive well in freshwater setups, same with the moray eel they're brackish not fresh. Fire eels also get huge, much too big for a 55
__________________

__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Elephant Nose - yes
a few teeny puffers - no they will pick at your angels
Some Kuhlii Loaches - yes
Would a fire eel be compatible? - no to big
Would a dragon goby be compatible? - no brackish
Would a freshwater moray be compatible? - No brackish hard to keep in captivity will eat other fish.
Would a freshwater ray be compatible? - No needs really big tanks
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
You could try ropefish, hill stream loach or butterfly fish?
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
butterfly_koi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: near Sedalia Missouri
Posts: 1,840
Hillstreams require a faster moving water movement which may not be suitable with Angels. Why exactly does it have to be an oddball? There are many beautiful fish that ate regularly seen in the trade. I'm a catfish lover and will often suggest as such so I would recommend a S. Multipunctata. They don't grow too large and get along quite well with just about anything.
__________________
“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my goodness.... I could be eating a slow learner!
-Lynda Montgomery
butterfly_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivers2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
Hillstreams require a faster moving water movement which may not be suitable with Angels. Why exactly does it have to be an oddball? There are many beautiful fish that ate regularly seen in the trade. I'm a catfish lover and will often suggest as such so I would recommend a S. Multipunctata. They don't grow too large and get along quite well with just about anything.
True forgot about the fast moving water. Thanks for the correction.
__________________
Rivers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Elephant Nose - yes
a few teeny puffers - no they will pick at your angels
Some Kuhlii Loaches - yes
Would a fire eel be compatible? - no to big
Would a dragon goby be compatible? - no brackish
Would a freshwater moray be compatible? - No brackish hard to keep in captivity will eat other fish.
Would a freshwater ray be compatible? - No needs really big tanks
Listen to this poster.
__________________
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Ropefish get about three feet so that's no better than a ray
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,387
I've had my elephant nose for nearly two years, he definitely isn't an community fish. When he matured he attacked my angelfish and then my the other tank mates, he is an aggressive fish. His tank is just him and kuhli loach that he literally just puts up with. In my experience they need species only tanks that's why I only have him.
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
I've read a book saying they need to be kept in species only tanks. Really random sorry...
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
I've read a book saying they need to be kept in species only tanks. Really random sorry...
You're right, i did try more than one elephant but he harassed them badly.
I even tried housing him with a 4 inch Ebjd and he beat it up. They really need there own tank.
No need to apologise
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Queen View Post
I'm thinking about getting an Elephant Nose, a few teeny puffers and/or some Kuhlii Loaches to go in a community tank of angels, hatchets, danios and killies.
Would these be suitable?
Would a fire eel be compatible?
Would a dragon goby be compatible?
Would a freshwater moray be compatible?
Would a freshwater ray be compatible?

What other oddballs (EXCLUDING GOBIES ) would work in this type of community tank?
Fire eel gets to big.
Dragon goby brackish.
No freshwater moray eel exists.
Sting rays can be 100-20000$, and none can fit in such a small tank.
Most Killies need a species tank.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Freshwater snowflake eels exists. Well not fresh but brackish
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Ropefish get about three feet so that's no better than a ray
But do not need tanks nearly as large as rays. Rope fish will do fine in smaller tanks
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Freshwater snowflake eels exists. Well not fresh but brackish
Exactly. No freshwater morays
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Nuclear Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Elephant Nose - yes
a few teeny puffers - no they will pick at your angels
Some Kuhlii Loaches - yes
Would a fire eel be compatible? - no to big
Would a dragon goby be compatible? - no brackish
Would a freshwater moray be compatible? - No brackish hard to keep in captivity will eat other fish.
Would a freshwater ray be compatible? - No needs really big tanks
Thanks for answering everything! I'm trying to decide between a single rope fish or a few Kuhlii, now. I'm pretty disappointed that the puffers would pick on my angles, but I think I'll get myself a tank for a single puffer pair in that case, since they are territorial.
I've heard mixed things about the Elephant Nose, some saying they're perfectly fine in community tanks and some saying they're bullies. I think I'm going to risk it.
Thanks again, really!
__________________
5g betta - 10g community - 50g community in planning
Nuclear Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Queen View Post

Thanks for answering everything! I'm trying to decide between a single rope fish or a few Kuhlii, now. I'm pretty disappointed that the puffers would pick on my angles, but I think I'll get myself a tank for a single puffer pair in that case, since they are territorial.
I've heard mixed things about the Elephant Nose, some saying they're perfectly fine in community tanks and some saying they're bullies. I think I'm going to risk it.
Thanks again, really!
Dont get a rope fish! You will need to buy live food every day to feed it. They grow giant.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Nuclear Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
Hillstreams require a faster moving water movement which may not be suitable with Angels. Why exactly does it have to be an oddball? There are many beautiful fish that ate regularly seen in the trade. I'm a catfish lover and will often suggest as such so I would recommend a S. Multipunctata. They don't grow too large and get along quite well with just about anything.
I actually wanted that cat, but I've only heard it under the name "upside down catfish"! Now that I'm looking at a Gold Nugget Pleco, I'm not sure if I want to put the two of them together. With omnivore and algae tablets, would they compete for food?? Having a sparking tank but two hungry suckers wouldn't be worth it.

I want an oddball because I'm making the "focus" of the tank angelfish, as they're my mom's favorite, but I want to have something STRANGE and eye-catching and unique for me. Just something that makes people go "WOAH WHAT IS THAT", while also being a fish I find attractive/so-ugly-it's-adorable.
__________________
5g betta - 10g community - 50g community in planning
Nuclear Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Nuclear Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Dragon gobies are brackish fish that don't survive well in freshwater setups, same with the moray eel they're brackish not fresh. Fire eels also get huge, much too big for a 55
Well that's a bit poo. Ah well, thank you for telling me!
__________________
5g betta - 10g community - 50g community in planning
Nuclear Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
butterfly_koi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: near Sedalia Missouri
Posts: 1,840
There is major differences between a Multipunctata and an upside down. The S. Nigriventris (upside down) literally swims upside down most of the time and has more of a short stubby looking body and can be very shy. It looks like this, Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_1367042106349.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	201815
The Multipunctata looks like this,
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130327_122627.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	201814
More of a social catfish with white tips on the fins.
Both cats are non aggressive and are compatible with just about anything even other cats and plecos. Having owned both cats I've never seen competition for food.
__________________

__________________
“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my goodness.... I could be eating a slow learner!
-Lynda Montgomery
butterfly_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.