Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Peacock Blenny

HI,

Today I went to visit the local tide pools and I caught this beautiful blenny. They're very common here. Now its in my semi-brackish guppy tank because I was told that it is adapted to tolerate temperatures - 20C-35C and being a tide pool species it can also live in freshwater and brackish. What do you think? If it survives, isn't that the most adaptable tolerant fish ever?

Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Wow. That's a neat fish alright, Nick. I'd be worried about this guy, though. Blennies are more fully marine than brackish IME. I'll defer to greater expertise, though--try posting this topic in the Marine-General Discussion forum and see what they say.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Madasafish, as I think they are marine (maybe it is that as juvies they are brackish and move into marine later in life, like scats) but what a lovely fish!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This will sound cruel but its a learning experience. I am only testing if it can live and feed in freshwater. If I see that it doesn't want to eat I'll release it. If it doesn't survive I'll try it in brackish. I'll keep you updated because IMO its really interesting and attractive. I have found that these fish are even capable of breathing out of the water; the males wait in holes above water before the tide comes in.
If I don't succeed I'll try keeping one in a small marine tank. I have never tried marine but it shouldn't be that hard since I have sand, live rock and sea water available 20 mins. away

These fish are too cool for me to not have one. 8) 8) 8)

Nicky.

Tags
blenny, peacock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com