Peacock Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nick_schembri

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,

Today I went to visit the local tide pools and I caught this beautiful blenny. They're very common here. Now its in my semi-brackish guppy tank because I was told that it is adapted to tolerate temperatures - 20C-35C and being a tide pool species it can also live in freshwater and brackish. What do you think? If it survives, isn't that the most adaptable tolerant fish ever?

Wow. That's a neat fish alright, Nick. I'd be worried about this guy, though. Blennies are more fully marine than brackish IME. I'll defer to greater expertise, though--try posting this topic in the Marine-General Discussion forum and see what they say.

I agree with Madasafish, as I think they are marine (maybe it is that as juvies they are brackish and move into marine later in life, like scats) but what a lovely fish!

This will sound cruel but its a learning experience. I am only testing if it can live and feed in freshwater. If I see that it doesn't want to eat I'll release it. If it doesn't survive I'll try it in brackish. I'll keep you updated because IMO its really interesting and attractive. I have found that these fish are even capable of breathing out of the water; the males wait in holes above water before the tide comes in.
If I don't succeed I'll try keeping one in a small marine tank. I have never tried marine but it shouldn't be that hard since I have sand, live rock and sea water available 20 mins. away :D :D :D

These fish are too cool for me to not have one. 8) 8) 8)

Nicky.

Back
Top Bottom