Peacock eel, missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't seen my peacock eel today or yesterday. I put some frozen blood worms in there last night. Usually (like at the pet store) don't they have their heads poking out of the substrate? I haven't seen it do that either! Please help!

When was the last time you saw him

Well, thankfully I picked up a decoration and saw what I thought was a rock but then pushed the sand around it and up popped his head! He was still burrowed! After that he swam out and into the middle of the tank! I guess he's still getting used to the new tank?? I put a fresh batch of frozen bloodworms in there about an hour ago! Conveniently enough they fell right next to him! Before tonight, the day before yesterday was the last time I saw him!

Yeah eels are a shy species so he won't always be out. Some dither or target fish that stay out in the open will make him feel safe. If the tank is around 20 gallons, danios are a good option

Yeah eels are a shy species so he won't always be out. Some dither or target fish that stay out in the open will make him feel safe. If the tank is around 20 gallons, danios are a good option

It's a 55 gallon tank! This is what my stock list is:

1 rainbow shark
1 bristle nose pleco
1 peacock eel
2 German blue ram cichlid
2 Kribensis
1 leopard bushfish
5 black skirt tetras
8 tiger barbs

If you have any info on what should and shouldn't be there then please share!
I already have the BNP in there, however he disappeared about 2 hours ago! One if my decorations is hollow so I think he might be in there! Lol

The rainbow will need a bigger tank. You could add another eel and see if he comes out. Peacock eels are social

The rainbow will need a bigger tank. You could add another eel and see if he comes out. Peacock eels are social

Oh ok! Cool! So how do I sex them? I read that females are larger in size than males? Would I want 2 of the same sex or a mate for my current eel?

Gender and size doesn't matter. They are small so you might be able to add two more if you stay on top of your water changes.

Gender and size doesn't matter. They are small so you might be able to add two more if you stay on top of your water changes.

Oh definitely! I'm gonna do a pwc tomorrow! So your saying if I stay consistent with my wc I can have 3 eels?

Yes. They don't produce much waste so I wouldn't be too worried. Just don't over feed and know when to stop adding fish.

Yes. They don't produce much waste so I wouldn't be too worried. Just don't over feed and know when to stop adding fish.

Definately! I think ill just remove the shark, add the 2 eels and then the rest of the fish in the list, do you think that would be good? I'm going to put that in the aqadviser real fast!

Ok. Just keep in mind that these stocking calculators can be inaccurate. I see no problem but I could be wrong.

Ok. Just keep in mind that these stocking calculators can be inaccurate. I see no problem but I could be wrong.

Right, I'm aware. I'm going to do more research! But I have decided on this instead!

1 bristle nose pleco
3 peacock eel
2 Kribensis
10 tiger barbs

Right, I'm aware. I'm going to do more research on all these fish! Here is a revised list that I have come up with, I believe it will be more sufficient and less of a total bio load!

1 bristle nose pleco
3 peacock eel
2 Kribensis
10 tiger barbs

No problem. I enjoy helping people with their fish problems.

I just have one more question! Last night, my eel was hanging out between the heater and the glass, I checked to make sure he wasn't stuck but he had plenty of room, this morning he was in the same spot. I grabbed my net and slightly touched his tail with it and he moved and swam down! My tank temp is at 78 F. Is he cold?

Back
Top Bottom