Peacock eels in 40 gallon freshwater tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurenlloyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

This summer I am planning on setting up a 40 gal fresh water tank. I want to have 1 (or2) peacock eels if they would get along and I want to plan the tank before I buy anything else. Can anyone suggest tankmates for my eel(s)? I have a opaline gourami that I woul like to put in the 40 gal but I do not know what else would do well inthe same tank. Thanks for the help!:thanks:

Hello, good luck on your new tank! So you want semi agressive fish? Also do you want fish everywhere or just big fish?

I think that fish spread out in the aquarium would be best. I would like to make an oddball tank if possible but I understand that many of them get large. Would semi- aggressive fish be best with the peacock eels? Thanks

You can get tiger barbs which are schooling fish at least 4 in a group, knife fish are really cool, alot of types of pleco to choose from (they get huge) featherfin catfish, rainbow fish and cichlids are alot of the options you have. Make sure you don't overstock. I know it's hard to not add fish but use the rule in adding fish and you will be fine

the african butterfly would do good. Its a surface level and very intresting. The american flag fish might also be an option too.

the african butterfly would do good. Its a surface level and very intresting. The american flag fish might also be an option too.

The butterfly fish looks really cool! Mt only concern is that the hood I have covers the top 1"-2" do I might never see it. :( do they ever swim down from the top?

Very rarely, when I had one I took some mesh netting and taped it around my filter. It lived 2 old age before it passed. One of favorite fish , I would feed it crickets and it go crazy after them

]Very rarely, when I had one I took some mesh netting and taped it around my filter. It lived 2 old age before it passed. One of favorite fish , I would feed it crickets and it go crazy after them. I lowered my water about one inch under the brim so u could still see it

]Very rarely, when I had one I took some mesh netting and taped it around my filter. It lived 2 old age before it passed. One of favorite fish , I would feed it crickets and it go crazy after them. I lowered my water about one inch under the brim so u could still see it

That might work! I need to see if my pump would still be ok. Are the butterfly fish expensive?

Sorry my ipod went crazy and started double posting stuff. Look up baby whales, a very diffrent looking fish.

Baby whales have to eat blackworms. Shout the butterfly fish, peacock eels or gourami? ( can they eat the worms?)

No they don`t have to. African butterfly fish can be picky eaters though and will eat anything that can fit in their mouth.I feed mine crickets 3 days a week and drop a couple of carnivore pellets the other 4. They have been known to refuse anything but crickets before. I think I got lucky with mine. Gourami don`t have to eat worms, but I`m sure they would like the treat. I`m not sure about peacock eels though.

Ok. I have heard that some fish will get very ill from eating blackworms and would like feeding time to not get too complicated. I read about the baby whales and you can only have one per tank.

Also an quite randomly, have you seen a dragon goby before? And do you have any information about them?

Back
Top Bottom