Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Peacock Gudgeons, more info please...

Hi all, I'm new as of today and I'm trying to learn how to navigate this group lol. I have found some info here about peacock gudgeons but I want more info. I have a beautiful 55 gallon long established fresh water tank set up. I have lots of hiding places and nooks and crannies for fish to hide. I have some plastic plants but I also have drift wood with dwarf Anubias Bateri. And a few African ferns. Nothing super exciting. Inside my tank I have 5 large algae shrimp.,2 males 3 females. 3 xhiphophorus platy, 5 red eye tetras, 5 neon tetras, and 1 loner I forgot what the name was but it's a tetra. Anywho, I wanted to try a few peacock gudgeons. From what I have read, it seems that peacock gudgeons would get along just fine in my tank. I understand their diet and it's really no different than what I feed my fish already. I also feed my fish live mosquito larva and freeze some in small ice cube trays for the winter months. Boy do my fish thrive with them in their diet! But I wanted make sure that the peacock gudgeons are going to be ok with my other fish, shrimp and Bertie and chocolate poso rabbit snail. Also I wanted to reintroduce cherry shrimp or another small variety into my tank eventually as well. The last thing I want to do is have these fish I will want to regime because I didn't do enough home work about them lol. I always try and be responsible band do the right thing before making any purchases lol. There really isn't much info out there about these guys. I've learned not to trust a certain well known mail order company when they say community fish and great with all fish lol., that of which I do not shop any more lol. Thank you all for any info you can provide! Melissa

Old 07-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

Make sure they are peacocks not purple spotted. The latter is extremely aggressive. I've included a photo. On the right is a hillstream loachClick image for larger version

Name:	20170426_113022.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	301160

Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Thank you splattered! I appreciate your sharing that with me!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

I went to a newer pet shop in my area yesterday and asked someone there about peacock gudgeons there. One of the things he mentioned is that they don't like dad moving water in the tank. Unfortunately I have a good current going in my tank with a powerful filtration system. I'm thinking that it won't be a good idea to have these guys.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

funny I was told the same thing about these northern purple spotted gudgeons and then did notice their behavior change slightly after i moved them from the heavy flow tank to a larger quieter tank. Again it makes me stress the fact these 2 species are constantly mistaken for each other
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
funny I was told the same thing about these northern purple spotted gudgeons and then did notice their behavior change slightly after i moved them from the heavy flow tank to a larger quieter tank. Again it makes me stress the fact these 2 species are constantly mistaken for each other

My knowledge is very limited on these but I'm not sure how people would confuse them as the peacock appears much more colorful than the purple spotted ones no?

Tags
peacock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com