Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pearl gourami question

I want to add one to my 30 gallon tank but I'm confused on wether or not to get a male or female. I want a male because they are more colorful, but I want a female because they are less territorial. Aggression is my main priority and I want my community tank to stay peaceful. I have blue rams, lemon tetras, 3 female bettas, and cories. Any thoughts? Are males that bad towards aggression?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have several pearl gouramis and they are pretty peaceful for a gourami. They tend to squabble among themselves and I have very rarely seen one go after another fish. However, being that you have female bettas, which are also labyrinth fish like the pearl gourami, there may be some aggression between them. In my experience the males and females are more or less equal.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman24 View Post
I want to add one to my 30 gallon tank but I'm confused on wether or not to get a male or female. I want a male because they are more colorful, but I want a female because they are less territorial. Aggression is my main priority and I want my community tank to stay peaceful. I have blue rams, lemon tetras, 3 female bettas, and cories. Any thoughts? Are males that bad towards aggression?
Ive kept males in community tanks with no problems. He was with another pair and he also had a mate in a 29g tank. That was waaay before I found AA
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do they swim more towards the top or mid level?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine always stayed towards the top
Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm reading a lot online and people say bettas and gouramis are a big no no ... Any other ideas for a centerpiece fish?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm reading a lot online and people say bettas and gouramis are a big no no ... Any other ideas for a centerpiece fish?
With 3 female bettas? No. The bettas are gonna highly limit your cp fish. If you remove the bettas there are quite a few options available
Old 09-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

With 3 female bettas? No. The bettas are gonna highly limit your cp fish. If you remove the bettas there are quite a few options available
Well I thought about taking my female bettas, putting them back in their original tank ( 10 gallon ) and move my pregnant guppy I have now and put her in the 30. Would that work better?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #9

It probably wouldn't hurt to let the guppy give birth so all of the fry aren't eaten in the 30 gallon. Then move as necessary
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Well I thought about taking my female bettas, putting them back in their original tank ( 10 gallon ) and move my pregnant guppy I have now and put her in the 30. Would that work better?
Yes it would. If you want your guppy to have babies then get a breeding trap. They work and you will have more space in your main tank. If you moved the bettad the you can definitely do a male pearl gourami no problem
Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Yes it would. If you want your guppy to have babies then get a breeding trap. They work and you will have more space in your main tank. If you moved the bettad the you can definitely do a male pearl gourami no problem
Alright I'll move the bettas then, any other suggestions besides the pearl? Maybe an angel? However I heard angels and guppies don't get along
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #12

The Boesemani Rainbow is a pretty fish. And it all depends on if the fish nip at the angels long flowing fins. Angels themselves are completely different one fish to the other they have their own unique personalities.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com