Pearl Gourami Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I was wondering what smaller schooling fish would be ok with a pearl gourami. I would like to get chili rasboras but am not sure if they would be ok with my pearls.

Hello, I was wondering what smaller schooling fish would be ok with a pearl gourami. I would like to get chili rasboras but am not sure if they would be ok with my pearls.
They would not bother with one another normally, but even if you're only talking about a school of only 6 Raboras with a pearl Gourami in a 10 gallon tank, your forcing contact that they wouldn't experience normally. Gouramis are normally peaceful but can get stressed and even aggressive when they want. As long as you are talking about at least a 20 gallon tank, then schooling fish would have no problem with a Gourami.

They would not bother with one another normally, but even if you're only talking about a school of only 6 Raboras with a pearl Gourami in a 10 gallon tank, your forcing contact that they wouldn't experience normally. Gouramis are normally peaceful but can get stressed and even aggressive when they want. As long as you are talking about at least a 20 gallon tank, then schooling fish would have no problem with a Gourami.
The tank is a 40 gallon but chili rasboras are smaller than most schooling fish so I worry they may become food

The tank is a 40 gallon but chili rasboras are smaller than most schooling fish so I worry they may become food
Not to a pearl Gourami. Gouramis are passive surface eaters. They may eat mosquito larvae or other small insects, but the more go for food that fits in their mouths, but they are not chompers that like to take bites out of other fish. But something as small as fry they would eat. You should be fine with keeping them together.

Not to a pearl Gourami. Gouramis are passive surface eaters. They may eat mosquito larvae or other small insects, but the more go for food that fits in their mouths, but they are not chompers that like to take bites out of other fish. But something as small as fry they would eat. You should be fine with keeping them together.

I second this.
Additionally, most any rasbora and many different tetras would be fine. there are too many options to count really. If you want a more accessible ( probably cheaper) alternative to chilis, harlequin rasboras, ember tetras, or rummy nose tetras are all nice, calm choices that won't nip any fins. Avoid fin nippers or hyper active fish.

Agreed. If the OP is worried about the size of the chilis, harlequin rasboras, especially the purple variety, would look very nice and get along just fine with the gourami.

Back
Top Bottom