Peat Moss experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so after reading about fishy's problem with the pH dropping way too low when she added peat moss i decided to try to add a certain amount and see how it affects the pH over time, here is the experiment

My original pH at 2:15pm on Monday was-8.1

I added a golf ball size chunk of peat moss at 2:15 to a 10 gallon tank

Every hour i took the pH test:
3:15pm-pH of 7.8
4:15-pH of 7.6
5:15-pH of 7.4

Then i checked it at midnight and got a pH of 7.4
Then today at 1:15 and it was still at 7.4

My conclusion to the experiment is, a golf ball sized chunk of peat moss added to a 10 gallon aquarium and under my tanks conditions drops about .7 over a period of 3 hours and remains there.

I will continue to monitor my levels for the next few days to see any changes

What are your kH and GH measurements?
kH will buffer the effect of the peat moss, so people's results will vary.

i actually dont have any tests for the KH and GH

i know it will vary in every persons tank, i was just giving out an idea of what it could possibly do

that was my next test kits to buy was for the KH and GH

I would be intrested in finding out if the peat will consume KH or GH.. PH is kindof a side note IMO. Would like to see thouse results :p

alright greenmaji i will have to go out tomorrow and get those test kits and i will test my tap water and my aquarium water

do you think that would work to see if it is consumed?

it should.. but to be honest with you I think it would take long term use for the acids to actually consume KH or GH so long term testing might be in order.. HTH

Acids do not consume GH. But the more acid you add the more the KH will drop. The KH should drop faster than the pH though...... remember titration curves?

Back
Top Bottom