Peat Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneFishTwoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have relatively high PH water (don't know the hardness got to get that test kit next) in my town and am considering natural ways to lower it. I've read about peat and think that it might provide an option. I have a 60G Hex with an AquaClear 300 temp in the 82 range. I was thinking of getting a couple of reusable media bags and putting the sponge on the bottom then some peat in a reusable media bag followed by some AC.

Couple of questions then.

1. How much peat would I need to use to lower the ph to the 7.0-7.2 range.

2. Would placing the media as described work to both lower the PH and keep the water clear or would the AC negate the effects of the peat. If not what would be the best way to use peat?

3. Will peat work slowly enough that it won't effect the current occupants.

4. Does it even make sense to do this as my lfs uses the same water and I am concerned that change my PH would be detrimental to newly purchased fish.

TIA

Noticed that you weren't getting any responses so I'll take a shot.
If you are buying fish from lfs and they don't do anything to lower their PH I wouldn't worry too much. I keep neon tetras in relatively high PH water by acclimitizing them. (See thread in this index)
I don't use carbon in any of my tanks unless I smell something or want to remove something (Meds or such).
If you wanted to try peat I would put it in the bottom of the filter with two sponges on top. You wight be able to get away without the media bag but I would put it into a nylon. Cheap pantyhose work great. Toe section is easy. after that I knot end, dump in charcoal, peat or whatever, knot other end and cut leg for next use.
Try it and see what PH does. Can't hu.rt

I agree with bobolink.

If you buy your fish locally, they're using the same water you are (lol unless you have a well in the yard).

What kind of fish do you have or want to get?
There's only a few fish out there that are really picky about pH and hardness.

The tank is relatively (6weeks) new but I was thinking of adding a couple of Discus after letting the tank mature for a couple of months and settle everything down. My LFS gets nice looking ones fairly frequently so no rush to go out and get them today just trying to think ahead.

My other concern with the LFS is that they might actually treat their Discus water to get lower PH as those tanks appear to be on a seperate system as the rest of their FW tanks. Don't know if this is the case or not I'll have to check with them next time I'm in before I make any changes.

No personal experience with Discus. But from what I read, this is one species that IS picky about the pH & hardness (I think they like pH in the 6's). Most people end up having to really doctor the water, like R/O with discus buffer or the like.

Discus are beautiful fish, but my lfs charges $50 and up for one.
I'd have to get a second job to support a discus tank. :wink:
I might as well get two extra jobs and go SW reef! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom