Pecking order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently deworming my son’s glofish tank (yeah... “his” tank. At 18 months he was very insistent on needing a tank I promise :p) I had lost a tetra to internal parasites recently. (They’ve been in the tank for a while and a couple fish were staying smaller than the others. I incorrectly chalked it up to genetics.)

Then I did something that I normally wouldn’t do. I added fish during treatment. I’m getting the new fish to fill out the schools from the same source and I suspect they will have the same parasites as my fish were harboring so I wanted to treat them all at one time.

This is all unnecessary background and the fish are all doing fine but I’m struck by how much difference adding a few new fish makes to school behavior.

I have glo tetras (white skirts) and tiger barbs and yesterday, despite low school numbers, everything was very docile and calm with zero aggression. I added two tetras and two barbs to the tank last night. Today the tank is crazy active. No over the top aggression or anything but just a lot of half hearted chasing etc as they all figure out what the new pecking order is going to be.

I find myself curious about a rather specific question related to fish memory. If fish from an established school were moved (for illness quarantine etc) for a short period of time, would this ‘setting up pecking order’ behavior happen when the fish returned or would they settle back into the old order?

Anyway it’s been a lot of fun to watch! (I mean... for him to watch. Cause it’s totally his tank. No really ;))

Happy fishkeeping!

Back
Top Bottom