Pedigree Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reds26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One for the more experienced here .

When buying more exotic fish to coin a phrase , are you experts at spotting them out at your LFS ? is it chance ? or do you know trusted breeders in your area ?

I ask this because there is alot of scepticism towards LFS's on the forums and if i were to buy some Angelfish,Cichlids for example , i would want the best quality and i would be happy to pay more .

On the other hand i've heard that LFS fish are more hardy .

As an unexperienced fish keeper and alot of conflicting info on the net its easy to get the wrong end of the stick .

Thoughts anyone ??

On the show cichlids, bettas, and discus I bet you could actually get a pedigree.

With most other species you might just get an F#.

F0-Wild Caught
F1-First Gen. Tank Raised
F2-Second Gen. Tank Raised
etc.

In general, LFS or local breeder fish should do well in your local water conditions since they were either raised in your local water or at least have been acclimated to local water since they have been in the store.

If you post the name of your LFS, local breeder, or even general location someone on here might be able to help you find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
For myself personally I get my fish from breeder's and local aquarists that I know have healthy good quality fish. I find the fish at the lfs's to more stressed and more prone to illness. That is my personal experience.

Thx for the reply's guys . My tank is fullt stocked so i'm looking at a new tank and maybe the angelfish or cichlid route . I'm in no rush so research research research . :cool:

I also have a preference to buy flora and fauna from someone else rather than an LFS.

I'll either:
- place an ad in Buy/Swap/Sell of my local forum
- buy from Aquagreen in Darwin - Excellent stock (both plants and native Australian fish) that's second to none. And the service you get from them is on a level you just don't find elsewhere anymore.

Only if I get no joy from those sources will I buy from an LFS. But I will not use any LFS. There's an LFS on the other side of the city who has one of the better reputations (amonsgt the more serious hobbyists). I'll use them.

Do you guys or gals have a real trained eye for picking fish ?

Okay people think that "purebred fish" so much better. For real to get fish like that you have to inbreed, this makes the offspring become less hardy over time. In the wild fish don't seek out siblings so they can be purebred, they take what they get, its called variation and is required to keep the species healthy so the purebred scam is a load of bull***t! Don't take this offensively though. lol Pick active bright bodied fish that try to eat anything that fits in their mouth.

LOL ok , good fins , healthy body , active , i'm buying . :)

Back
Top Bottom