Penguin tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LillyToher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 penguin tetras and 4 neon tetras and one of the penguin tetras seems to be bullying the neon tetras and chasing them every time it sees them. Is that normal?

Hi yes tetras should be in groups of six as already been said,but I did have six in my tank and they terrorised everything in the tank:eek:

I think that upgrading schools would help the issue, keeping the aggression within the school. What size tank is this in? If the tank is too small, they may also be fighting for space.

My tank is 55 litres. I have 3 balloon mollies 4 neon tetras 2 penguin fish and this blue guy. Can anyone tell me what he is?

Attachments

• image-4079248877.jpg
    image-4079248877.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 95
My tank is 55 litres. I have 3 balloon mollies 4 neon tetras 2 penguin fish and this blue guy. Can anyone tell me what he is?

I think your tank is a bit too small for the fish you keep. Ideally larger tetras lke penguins need a 20 gallon long. Also, mollies are soooo waste-heavy I would only recommend one in a tank that size.

The blue guy definitely looks like a livebearer of some sort, my guess is either a molly or swordtail.

Thank you so much again for all your answers. Will keep it in mind.:)

The unidentified fish is a modified platy of some sort.

Penguin tetras happen to be one of my favorite tetras. I especially like how they all face the same direction when swimming in place. It's easier said than done, but a bigger tank with a larger school should solve the issues you're seeing.

David

This is my first tank so I not sure how many more I should put in. I was thinking 4 more penguin and 2 more neon might even it out a bit. Also I got my fish last Friday and on Sunday I had 2 baby mollies I think. So should I just leave things be till the babies get bigger?

This is my first tank so I not sure how many more I should put in. I was thinking 4 more penguin and 2 more neon might even it out a bit. Also I got my fish last Friday and on Sunday I had 2 baby mollies I think. So should I just leave things be till the babies get bigger?

How long have you had this tank running?

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle of aquariums?

I wouldn't add any more fish to this tank as you are quite poorly stocked.

I have 7 penguin tetras in my 200litre community aquarium and they are currently just over 1.5" in size after 9months in my tank.

Jon

I had the tank up and running about a week and a half before I put any fish in.

So you've had this tank approx 2weeks?

How often are you performing water changes?

Do you have anything to test your water quality?

Jon

I did my first water change yesterday and it went well. The mollies and platy did stay near the water heater for a good while afterwards though.my local pet shop didn't have the bacterlife and won't for another week so I only had the stress coat in the clean water. How would I know if my fish were distressed?

How would I know if my fish were distressed?
I would venture to say your charges are not doing well. Whenever a fish, or any life form for that matter, is made to live in an environment that is not within its acceptable range or is made to live in an environment that cannot process its own waste, trouble is sure to follow.

If you recently set up your tank, chances are it is nowhere near cycled. Your priorities will soon become how to keep your fish alive. Please read-up on the nitrogen cycle; it is a process you cannot bypass if you are to become successful as an aquarist.

Regards,
David

Back
Top Bottom