People who have painted their tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How did you decide what color to paint it? I've been mulling over the idea for a while now but just can't decide what color to go with.

I don't paint my tank .... but the painted ones that I think looked the best are dark blue at the back pane. It is, however, your tastes as to what color should be there. <You are the one looking at it!> I don't think the fish cares much.

I've always loved the black backgrounds for all my fish tanks. They give the tank depth and they also let the fishes' and plants' true colors pop better.

Black backgrounds are more commonly used in freshwater planted tanks, and a lot of shades of blues are more commonly used in saltwater setups. This is all your choice though.

I liked the color Ziggy and his wife used...Peacock Blue (?) ...and found something similar. I like blue with SW because there is so much dark with the LR...unless, like some people, you can grow lots of pretty corals for color !!! :)

I want to do something like baby pink and some dark purples. I'm such a girly girl it's pathetic. Has anyone ever seen a sponge effect done on a tank. I'm thinking sponging on some red, letting it dry and then black on top so as you're looking thru the tank, it'd be looking at a sponged wall.

I'm not going to try to put down your idea, because you can do whatever you feel like you like, i'm just going to say you prob. won't see anyone with that coloring of background because it isn't very realistic. Which, in the aquarium world, most people want to capture that realism and put it in their aquariums. I'm going to take a wild guess that pink and purple isn't very realistic :D.

Like I said, you can do whatever you feel is cool for you, i'm just going to say that it will look more like a toy then an actual habitat.

I decided on what colors I liked best by trying different options. I use latex paint which is quite easy to remove. Nearly every time I break down a 10 or 20 gallon quarantine tank I peel off the old color and try something new. My favorites so far are a deep reddish brown, an almost black grey and british racing green. I've only tried solids so far, do post your results with sponge layers.

Back
Top Bottom