Peppered Cory weirdness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cwabby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beloved and healthy peppered cory is doing something odd lately. The light is left on in the room while I shut off the tank light at night. I don't like to scare then suddenly. She has taken to mid level swimming around a bit. It's like she feels 'free' do do so. She doesn't go way up to catch a bit of air at the top, just seems to be acting like a youngin for a while mid level before returning to the bottom again. She's doing this nightly for a few days now. Water is checking out perfect. Everybody is happy and gets along in there. I wonder why she's feeling so spry at night. The only other catfish is my little Sterbai (who impregnated her a year ago when they were in a smaller tank) I wonder if she's preggers again? Like I said, she's coming up mid level for a while happily but not swimming up and down the glass when she was laying eggs..Hmmm any ideas what's going on?

My beloved and healthy peppered cory is doing something odd lately. The light is left on in the room while I shut off the tank light at night. I don't like to scare then suddenly. She has taken to mid level swimming around a bit. It's like she feels 'free' do do so. She doesn't go way up to catch a bit of air at the top, just seems to be acting like a youngin for a while mid level before returning to the bottom again. She's doing this nightly for a few days now. Water is checking out perfect. Everybody is happy and gets along in there. I wonder why she's feeling so spry at night. The only other catfish is my little Sterbai (who impregnated her a year ago when they were in a smaller tank) I wonder if she's preggers again? Like I said, she's coming up mid level for a while happily but not swimming up and down the glass when she was laying eggs..Hmmm any ideas what's going on?

Sounds like nothing is wrong. Sometimes they like to cruse around the tank. How long is 'a bit'? Not sure if she is full of eggs. Is your tank large enough to add more cores? As long as everything is normal, water, eating right and no signs of illness, I wouldn't sweat it.

Is she playing in the current from the filter?

And agreed on adding more cories if your tank size permits. They are so cute traveling around in shoals.

Most catfish are more active at night; that is normal. Turning the tank lights off while the room lights are on is equivalent to a crepuscular period. That's when catfish become active.

Enjoy their antics...

David

Yeah it's normal. My Cories are certainly most active just after lights out. I must say though, my Peppered Cories seem more interested in diligently cleaning their tank, including picking at algae, than playing like the Julies and Pandas in the same tank. They're like busy little worker bees.

Well I feel better. Thanks everyone. She's back to her house cleaning per usual until another romp tonight lol

Well I feel better. Thanks everyone. She's back to her house cleaning per usual until another romp tonight lol

She could be full of eggs and ready to spawn. My cories, peppered cories actually, got super super active right before she started laying eggs. She had all of my other cories with her, like literally on top and beside just going back and forth with her, they were so close it was like they were glued together. Was she by herself or were others swimming like that with her?

Back
Top Bottom