Permanenly stunt fish growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NTC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing and my goldfish had to suffer through my tank cycling and it too forever. My fish haven't grown at all in almost 3 months. Is it possible that I stunted their growth for good?

NTC said:
Well unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing and my goldfish had to suffer through my tank cycling and it too forever. My fish haven't grown at all in almost 3 months. Is it possible that I stunted their growth for good?

IMO there are 2 possibilities.
1, the growth inducing hormone in your fish was set back due to the flux in tank parameters and once it has deemed fit for growing it will then resume.
Or 2, the chemicals messed up your fish.
It's possible that they are stunted for good.

Its a 60g with 6 fancy goldfish of assorted types. One of them doesn't look like he is going to make it. Athough my tank is cycled now the damage may be done. Poor guy is laying on the bottom and not moving much. At first he would swim sometimes but acted like he had swim blader issues. Now he just seems weak. I had to pull him off the filter intake yestrday. He's been in the same place on the bottom of the tank since last night as far as I know. My other fish seem perfectly happy and one has put on weight since I got him but the others are about the same size. Think the others will start growing? How long does it take to get to adult size?

Fish pretty much continuously grow. It's not an overnight thing as to when they are full size or mature.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How often do you clean your tank?

I wouldn't be worried as much about stunted growth as I would ammonia poisoning. Without a doubt, their immune systems have been compromised.

Everything is reading 0 with a ph of about 6.8 onmy api master kit. I'm just concerned because my smallest fish in particular isn't getting any bigger. He still can't get one of the hikari baby pellets in his mouth. Hasn't grown a bit since I got him...but my tank has only been cycled for a couple of eeks. They were in during th initial cycle and crash and recycle. Its been up for about 3 months. Got the baby probably 2 months ago.

Not sure if it is permanatly stunted but I had similar experience I think. I had one .13 cent goldfish in a 2.5 gal tank and used to change the water only when it was really dirty. I believed mine would be permanantly stunted but after I obtained some knowledge I moved it to its own 20 gal long tank. It has since grown 2-3 inches and is a lot healthier having a filter and water changes. So I believe it will grow still after time. I hope this may help somewhat.

We'll that encouraging. Happy to hear it. Btw I forgot to say that I do weekly water changes. More when the tank was cycling.

Oh and I have had him for two years (still alive lol). He only started growing after being by himself in a larger tank. It will take time I think. Mine used to sit at the bottom of the tank as well though it is just a common goldfish and my water quality was much much worse. Could try putting him by himself in a tank for a while.

I'm concerned that you have 0 nitrates. This isn't a heavily planted tank, is it? Goldfish have large bioloads and you should most definitely have nitrates.

I tested after a 40%ish water change. Ill test again right now. No not heavily planted...just 3 o 4 marimo balls.

Ok oops you were right. I was readind the directions wrong. I was shaking the vial for 60sec after adding the second solution not shaking the slution itself bfore adding. Anyway my nitrates are about 10 to 20 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom