Permanent water line marks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought an 85 gallon tank on Craigslist and it had turtles in it prior so the tank was always filled half way. It seems to have left a permanent water line residue on the glass. I have scraped the glass with metal razor blades and can't get it off. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-204426250.jpg
    image-204426250.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 97
With fish in.. hmmm try wire wool obviously the ones without the soap. If fish arnt in then any chemical for removing hard water stain should do the trick, its safe to use if you make sure you rinse rinse and rinse some more. People use bleech to wash there second hand tanks all the time and thats pretty much as toxic as it gets. If using chemicals after you rinse the tank fill it up and let it sit for 24 hour full and then empty and rinse again. Job done

With fish in.. hmmm try wire wool obviously the ones without the soap. If fish arnt in then any chemical for removing hard water stain should do the trick, its safe to use if you make sure you rinse rinse and rinse some more. People use bleech to wash there second hand tanks all the time and thats pretty much as toxic as it gets. If using chemicals after you rinse the tank fill it up and let it sit for 24 hour full and then empty and rinse again. Job done

Hey great thanks. Ill probably try the steel wool next time I do a water change and Ill take the water level down below the hard water marks

Hey great thanks. Ill probably try the steel wool next time I do a water change and Ill take the water level down below the hard water marks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will not steel wool make scratches on the glass? Lay the tank on the side you want to clean and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit for about 10-15 mins and go back and scrape it with the razor blade. The vinegar softens it so the razor catches it.

Sorry just realized your tank has fish in it. Still wouldn't use the wool though

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will not steel wool make scratches on the glass? Lay the tank on the side you want to clean and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit for about 10-15 mins and go back and scrape it with the razor blade. The vinegar softens it so the razor catches it.

Actually it is pretty hard to scratch glass unless you are trying to. The steel wool is so fine and light that it will not scratch it

Yeah, what thomas said. Glass is actually relatively hard to scratch and wire wool is supprisingly plyable. If your worried it might scratch, do lots of light rubbing and dont rush to get it off by pushing too heavily.

I scratch my tanks up something terrible without trying. I'd hate for the OP to end up with ugly scour marks.
OP- How visible is the water level mark when it is submerged?- scratch that. The pic just loaded for me ;)

If your worried about scratches and scuffs, I used a double sided sponge...the rough side with white vinegar. Use the 9% white. Soak ur sponge and let it sit on the glass for like the above said. Works great. I just did an empty 20g that was almost solid white with residue and it looks brand new.

If your worried about scratches and scuffs, I used a double sided sponge...the rough side with white vinegar. Use the 9% white. Soak ur sponge and let it sit on the glass for like the above said. Works great. I just did an empty 20g that was almost solid white with residue and it looks brand new.

I would try the vinegar but there's no way I'm breaking down my 90 gallon just for this water mark

Is it bad to put the steel wool in the water?

When you do a water change, lower the water as far as you can below the water line. Then put some vinegar on a paper towel, not dripping wet, just damp. Then wipe off the line and dry the vinegar with another towel. You might have to do this a couple of times but if you are careful and don't use too much vinegar and wipe it off, when you fill the tank any residue is minute.

I've done it before and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom