Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Permanent water line marks

I bought an 85 gallon tank on Craigslist and it had turtles in it prior so the tank was always filled half way. It seems to have left a permanent water line residue on the glass. I have scraped the glass with metal razor blades and can't get it off. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-204426250.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	195963  

Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

With fish in.. hmmm try wire wool obviously the ones without the soap. If fish arnt in then any chemical for removing hard water stain should do the trick, its safe to use if you make sure you rinse rinse and rinse some more. People use bleech to wash there second hand tanks all the time and thats pretty much as toxic as it gets. If using chemicals after you rinse the tank fill it up and let it sit for 24 hour full and then empty and rinse again. Job done

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If it was empty it would be easier. Non soap steel wool and vinegar.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

But don't use vinegar with fish obviously
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
With fish in.. hmmm try wire wool obviously the ones without the soap. If fish arnt in then any chemical for removing hard water stain should do the trick, its safe to use if you make sure you rinse rinse and rinse some more. People use bleech to wash there second hand tanks all the time and thats pretty much as toxic as it gets. If using chemicals after you rinse the tank fill it up and let it sit for 24 hour full and then empty and rinse again. Job done
Hey great thanks. Ill probably try the steel wool next time I do a water change and Ill take the water level down below the hard water marks
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG07 View Post

Hey great thanks. Ill probably try the steel wool next time I do a water change and Ill take the water level down below the hard water marks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but will not steel wool make scratches on the glass? Lay the tank on the side you want to clean and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit for about 10-15 mins and go back and scrape it with the razor blade. The vinegar softens it so the razor catches it.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry just realized your tank has fish in it. Still wouldn't use the wool though
Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will not steel wool make scratches on the glass? Lay the tank on the side you want to clean and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit for about 10-15 mins and go back and scrape it with the razor blade. The vinegar softens it so the razor catches it.
Actually it is pretty hard to scratch glass unless you are trying to. The steel wool is so fine and light that it will not scratch it
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, what thomas said. Glass is actually relatively hard to scratch and wire wool is supprisingly plyable. If your worried it might scratch, do lots of light rubbing and dont rush to get it off by pushing too heavily.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I scratch my tanks up something terrible without trying. I'd hate for the OP to end up with ugly scour marks.
OP- How visible is the water level mark when it is submerged?- scratch that. The pic just loaded for me
Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your worried about scratches and scuffs, I used a double sided sponge...the rough side with white vinegar. Use the 9% white. Soak ur sponge and let it sit on the glass for like the above said. Works great. I just did an empty 20g that was almost solid white with residue and it looks brand new.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfins View Post
If your worried about scratches and scuffs, I used a double sided sponge...the rough side with white vinegar. Use the 9% white. Soak ur sponge and let it sit on the glass for like the above said. Works great. I just did an empty 20g that was almost solid white with residue and it looks brand new.
I would try the vinegar but there's no way I'm breaking down my 90 gallon just for this water mark
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG07 View Post

Is it bad to put the steel wool in the water?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

When you do a water change, lower the water as far as you can below the water line. Then put some vinegar on a paper towel, not dripping wet, just damp. Then wipe off the line and dry the vinegar with another towel. You might have to do this a couple of times but if you are careful and don't use too much vinegar and wipe it off, when you fill the tank any residue is minute.

I've done it before and it works well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com