Persistently cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msingerman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have a 55 gallon tank with smaller, communal fish in it. The total number is around 30. It's mostly a mix of tetras, along with a couple of platys, four zebra danios, a flame dwarf gourami, two chinese algae eaters, and two small catfish. The water is always slightly cloudy, I think because of an algae problem. I have tried covering the tank with a heavy sheet for three or four days, to no avail. The tank is not in a particularly sunny spot, and I don't think I am overfeeding them. I also change out 15-20 gallons of water each week. The light is on for about 12 hours a day. Is there anything I am missing, or any solutions to the cloudy water problem?

Thanks,

Matt

How long has your tank been running? Is the cloudiness a hazy white, or is it green? Since you mention algae, I assume you mean green water, but I want to be sure. Also, do you have a test kit? If so, please post your water test readings. Is this a planted tank?

If the water is a hazy white, it may signal a bacterial bloom.

Either way, how often do you feed the fish?

It looks sort of hazy white, but when I change the water, I first put it into a white bucket before dumping it down the drain, and then it looks ever-so-slightly green. A very very very pale green. This is not a planted tank, no. I haven't done the water testing in a while, but I will do so and post the results when I go home. I feed my fish twice a day - a tiny bit of food in the morning, and a larger pinch at dinner time plus some sinking food for the bottom-feeders. I don't *think* I'm overfeeding them. I try to watch and make sure they can eat it all in four or five minutes at dinner time, and in the morning they get half as much.

If it is not planted there is no need to have the lights on 12 hours a day. Please post your test results, if you have a test kit. How old is the tank?

Hmmm, okay. I didn't realize that would be a problem. How long should I leave the lights on?

About a two months, I upgraded from a 30 gallon tank to the 55 gallon one. I gave my existing fish (around 20) three weeks to adjust, with no problems. I then went out and got the new fish, and began seeing problems about a week after that.

So far, it doesn't sound like you might be overfeeding, although the water test results will help. What filtration are you running?

Since you are not running a planted tank, the lights are for your pleasure, not the fish's. Thus, as Rich said, you can cut down the length of time the lights are on to whenever you want to view them. Having said that, however, I do not think the lights are causing the cloudiness if it truly is just white haze.

Hi all,

Okay, I got home yesterday and reinspected the tank, and I think now that it is more a greenish haze than white. The white wall behind the tank was throwing me off, so perhaps it is algae?

I also checked the water, and this is what I got:

Temp: 79 F
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: approx. 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: approx. 20 ppm
Nitrite: > 1

Yikes! How did my nitrite levels get so high? I don't think it's overfeeding: I fed them this morning, and everything was just about gone in three minutes. I changed out 15 gallons last night when I read that, and used the vacuum the gravel as well as possible, but very little dirt/debris came up. I assume that this could be having a negative impact!

The filter is a fluval 204 canister filter using the prefilter media, biomax media, and carbon media, as well as the foam inserts.

Again, thanks for all the help, guys. My fish thank you, also.

--Matt

Sounds like it is a bacteria bloom. I think your tank is recycling after you added the new fish. What were your levels after you did the water change? You are going to need to test your levels everyday and change water as necessary until your bio-filter catches back up.

Hm. That would make sense with the water not clearing up after covering the tank. The new fish have been in there at least two weeks now, probably three. I checked the water again this morning, and the levels were still extremely high, although I think it may have come down a bit - the testing water looked slightly less dark pink. How often should I change water out, and how much? I guess I could do 5-10 gallons every other day until things stabilize, unless that seems too much?

I would do 20-30% everyday as necessary. Definetly do another change today to get those nitrites down.

It sounds like you are going through a mini cycle and your bacteria is trying to catch up with the bioload.

I personally would do a 20% water change everyday until it clears. (you beat me to the punch Rich) :D

woo! you guys are great. Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know how things turn out.

One other question: should I be adding anything special to the tank during all this? I just add a bit of stuff for dechlorinating tap water.

Okay, thanks. I did another 20% change last night and have been keeping the lights off during the day, and things already look significantly better. The Nitrite levels are still high, but are coming down. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom