Pesistent green/brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We hav a 5 foot fresh water tank with everyday fish such clown loaches, gold fish, guppies. I have a new quality canister filter. Some rocks, hollow logs and a large piece of petrified wood. and a small amount of plants. I have a major problem with a green algae, It only appears when I turn the light on. We have tried changing 30% water every weekend for months, Also have bleached all logs, Plants an petrified wood and all other bits. I regularly clean and vacuum the tank, Clean the filter. If I leave the light off, The algae goes away in a few days, If I turn the light on, It only takes a few days for it to come back. Over a week, It will cover everything in the tank. It first appears in the petrified wood as a green cover and then starts to appear on the glass. it gets that thick, It will kill the plants from lack off light. I have even turned the light off for 4 weeks and it went away off everything. But 3 days after I turned the light back on, It was back. We run the light about 8 hours a day. Any suggestions would be great as we have had this problem for 3 years and I have tried just about everything I have read online. I know the light causes the problem. I have got to a point if I cant fix it, I will get rid of everything including the tank and replace it all.

Can you tell me your current stock and how many gallons your tank is? Also it seems to me that you have no algae eater whatsoever (which would ofcourse help, but is not the cause of the algae problem). Is the tank near a window?

Also keep in mind for future tanks: it's best to do a goldfish only tank, because they are not the cleanest fish and can cause spikes which can be deadly for other fish. Goldfish are also coldwater and should not be mixed with tropical fish.

That being said, if you give us some more details, I'm sure we can figure this out.. There's a logical solution to everything! ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

What lights do you have?
Whats your water change schedule?
Whats the full stock and gallons?
What live plants do you have?
What do you use for fertilizer?
Do you use a carbon source such as excel?

Back
Top Bottom