Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pest control coming

Any advice for hermit crab tank and fish tanks? I was going to tape down garbage bags to cover them. Anything I should be aware of?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are they fumigating the place or are they just doing spot treatments? That's a tough question, I would suggest completely pulling the tanks out if possible, especially if they are fumigating. If they are doing spot treaments the plastic garbage bags would possibly be sufficient as long as they are well sealed. Just be sure to turn off any bubblers.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Just be sure to turn off any bubblers.
I wouldn't have thought of that! If anything my stupid brain would have gone: "well you've stopped any air getting in- better start the bubbler so they don't suffocate"
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are just spot treating. Tanks can't come out easily 1 is a 75 gallon full of dirt on the second floor.

Do you think they will be ok with just the cover ? . I don't want them to get hurt. Pest guys are coming because we have a silver fish and scorpion problem
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfish View Post
They are just spot treating. Tanks can't come out easily 1 is a 75 gallon full of dirt on the second floor.

Do you think they will be ok with just the cover ? . I don't want them to get hurt. Pest guys are coming because we have a silver fish and scorpion problem
They should be okay as long as they get covered thoroughly. I would at the very least do a large water change when they are done treating.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would do some feeding before they come so that your fish doesn't starve. cover them with bags. let the pesticide settle for 24-48hrs. and then a 50% water change
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't had to deal with this but I would think the water change is a bad idea. You have the tanks covered with bags so no chemicals can get it in. then you take the bag off and do a water change with items that may have possibly been exposed. If it was me I would cover with plastic turn off bubbler. if you are allowed back in then the chemicals aren't in the air so you are good to go take off the plastic and turn everything on.

Like i said before I have not had to go through it that is just what I would do.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both my hermit crabs and fish do fine when the pest control comes to my house
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jev12 do you take any precautions? Do you cover or have them not spray in certain areas?

This is a monthly type treatment not fumigating. Supposed to be environmentally friendly safe for babies and dogs and all that jazz.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

We just had our house done for bees and ants. Its an every summer thing for us. I have two tanks up and running. The inside treatment just was a light spray along the edges of each room. The outside was a pesticide soak down... I dont do anything special to cover the tanks,but I am careful for awhile not to touch anything outside or inside then stick a hand in the tank. (I also dont let him spray corners behind the fish tank...my stands are open in the back)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfish View Post
Jev12 do you take any precautions? Do you cover or have them not spray in certain areas?

This is a monthly type treatment not fumigating. Supposed to be environmentally friendly safe for babies and dogs and all that jazz.
No I don't take any precautions just because I trust they have common sense enough not to spray to close to the tanks and I have never had any problems so yah

Tags
control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com