pest snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I just finished doing a water change when I noticed this little guy at the bottom of the tank, I was wondering if it's a pest snail? Or if I can keep it. Will it ruin my tank and over populate it or is it harmless.

ForumRunner_20130927_130835.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_130846.jpg

Its harmless but they will reproduce quickly depending on available food.

They do however help clean up the tank so its up to you to get rid of them or not.

It's the first one I've seen and I've had my tank for about 5 months. Haven't had added anything in the tank like plants or anything in like a month.

They honestly dont bother me... But it could have come in with a fish in the bag easily.

Then if probably is the only one i would say leave it since they do clean the tank well i have a couple of them and they do a good job. Just keep an eye on it.

Okay, I moved in to my other tank. I know there are no other snails in there. It's a newer set up

They won't eat any healthy plant material but they might eat stuff thats already dead or dying.

They won't eat any healthy plant material but they might eat stuff thats already dead or dying.

Oh that's super helpful. Where's the best place to get some of those lil guys?
Would my dwarf gouramis, corry cats or bristlenose pleco keep the population down?

The pleco should but idk. If your tank becomes infested with them I recommend getting a (temporary) striped raphael catfish. They love snails, they eat shells and all, and an almost full grown one can take back a tank in a few days. I had a really really bad snail outbreak because one hitched on a plant that my fish store put in with my bichir, sneaky little dude, ended up taking over my tank with snails everywhere. I got a striped raphael and he cleaned it right up in about a week. He was small at the time so I imagine a big one can clean a tank up very soon. It started out a how to deal with snails but turned into "how I ended up with my striped raphael cat" the mini series Haha

More likely a bladder snail.. also hermaphrodites that can begin laying eggs even when very, very young. But harmless enough, so long as they don't get to be too many. Do a nice clean up job.

Often found in ponds, often called pond snails, but pond snails can be one of two or three species, one of which at least gets much larger and eats plants. Bladder snails don't get much over 3/8 inch, and don't eat plants.

Oh that's super helpful. Where's the best place to get some of those lil guys?
Would my dwarf gouramis, corry cats or bristlenose pleco keep the population down?

You usually get them in on plants that you buy. If you really want them go to a privately owned LFS and they will usually give you some for free. That's what I did when I started my 55g to get both pond snails and Malaysian trumpets.

To keep their population in check assassin snails are by far the best option.

Back
Top Bottom