Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to smithw14
Pest Snail Problem

Okay -

In my 20g planted community tank I started having a pest snail problem. They aren't out of control, but they are still there.

I opted to do the old fashion method of plucking each one I see. Well, I started 5 weeks ago and I do believe its a loosing battle.

I am not going to use chemicals because I have 3 lovely apple snails. So picking and plucking wasn't the biggest problem, it was just annoying. Recently I got 4 apple snail egg sacks and so I have about 1-3 weeks to eradicate the pest snails, or I'm going to be taken over by them because I imagine I will not be able to tell baby apple snail from baby pest snail.

Ugh. What to do?

As always, thanks!

-William

Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

throw a leaf of lettuce in there and let it sit overnight, pull it out in the morning with all the snails on it.

repeat until you have no more snails.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Edit: beat me to it.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The capture method works well. Also stop overfeeding your tank. The snails wouldn't be thriving if there weren't so much food available to them.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed, snails are the visual problem, but overfeeding most likely is the underlying cause. Also make sure you are keeping good maintainance of your plants. Detrius that is on the bottom or stuck in the filter will supply food as well.

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com