Pet hair in the fish tank :0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
This a question for all you pet lovers out there that have furry critters in your home along with your finned friends. Is having pet hair in the fish tank a big problem? I know that if you put bug spray or powder on your dog or cat and the hair gets in the tank it could concievably cause a problem......has anyone had a problem like that?

I try not to put too much crud on my animals, but I keep seeing pet hair floating in all of my tanks. It's been like that for a long time and no prolems....yet, but I thought I would see what other folk's experience with this sort of thing is. I get paranoid when I see a pet hair or two floating on the surface. 8O Maybe I worry for nothing, but still.....any issues?

i find cat hair in my biggest tank and no i dont think there is a problem.
i dont spary him with anything. so i dont think it could be a problem as long as you clean the hair out .
i just pick it out everytime i see it

I see my long hair in there from time to time and my fishies are still alive. I'm sure there is cat and dog hair in there as well, but I use nothing on the hair.

BTW.....What are you putting on your critters?

mainly what happens is they get on top the hood for warmth from the lights and to be up high, mine always did that until I started getting onto them for it, now they never get on there and I have 8 cats lol

I get dog hair in my tank and usually it will float on top to where I can scoop it out or the filter get's it out... So far I haven't noticed any problems from animal hair being in there.

Nothing ATM....I've going to have to put somthing on the dog though....I can't seem to get the ticks under control and I've used Sevin in the yard and everything. I need to put Sevin directly on her, but I think it's her fur I keep seeing floating in the tanks.

I have 6 cats and a bird and have had no problems with hair or feathers causing a problem when they get into the tank. I also have very long hair and occasionally find my hair in the tank too. I don't put anything on the pets so no reason IMO to worry.

LOL

I just finished doing a PWC and noticed quite a few dog hairs in the tank. He is inside a lot now because of the weather, it is so cold! Always seem to find a few when I clean the filter as well.

Anyway, I'm glad there not a concern. Although I wouldn't go bathing your dog or cat in the fish tank. :lol:

crazyred said:
Nothing ATM....I've going to have to put somthing on the dog though....I can't seem to get the ticks under control and I've used Sevin in the yard and everything. I need to put Sevin directly on her, but I think it's her fur I keep seeing floating in the tanks.

I would be concerned about sevin residue in the tanks, especially since you have to reapply it so often. And this is off topic, sort of, but I'd consider something like Frontline. It is a bit pricey, but it WORKS! And after 24 hours it is absorbed and not harmful to kids or cats who might lick it. I'd guess that after that time, the minuscule amount that would be on a few hairs wouldn't be harmful to a tank. It also isn't supposed to be water soluble since after the 24 hours your dog can swim or be bathed no problem. (It works wonders on fleas too :) )

Yeah, it's about time to take the pets for their annual check-ups I may see about getting some Frontline.....nothing else is working and the ticks are BAD this year!!!

So far, I guess I haven't seen any adverse effects to having pet hair in the fish tank, but I'm always wondering about different stuff. LOL

Back
Top Bottom