petco aquarium sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone have any experience with petco aquarium sand? I just bought a 20lb bag of black sand from them. When I rinsed it the water never seem to run clear and it turned my bathtub black (wiped right off though). I'm afraid if I put it in my aquariums it will tint the water really bad. Any comments/suggestions?

i'm afraid i don't have any experience with it, but i'd go ahead and try it. if it tints things, you can always run carbon in your filter for a few days and see if that gets it out.

thats a good idea. considering I can't return it I was gonna try it anyways but thought I would ask if anyone else has it. Thank you

You may have to rinse it some more. I have the same sand in my 20 GL. Sand will eventually settle.

I bought 5 bags of the black sand from Petco. I rinsed it in a large bucket outside using a hose. I only rinsed half a bag at a time until the water ran clear. I put it in my tank and then filled it. The next morning I stirred it and broke up the little clumps of sand. I left the filter off for a couple of hours and when the sand had settled I turned the filter back on. It has not caused any issues. It look beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom