Petco,petsmart or wal-mart fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which one do you think is the best also you can list others.

I go with mom and pop stores they usually can order what you want without a hassle. I went to all three of the list you gave today just to look around and to be honest I saw less of a variety than at my mom and pop stores I go to.

I prefer Petsmart, but that's because I live next to two pretty good ones. It really depends on the individual store than the chain itself. If they were all the same, then I would never step foot in a Petco. The one near me makes me want to cry.

Local shops are also great to look into. They are the same though, can be good or bad. There is also Petsupermarket and Pet Supplies Plus, to bring up other chains that sell fish.

There's no way to answer this. You're asking about 3 chain stores with many many individual stores with varying circumstances. One store might be terrible, while another beats every 'mom & pop' in the area.

Thanks! Just wondering what you woulda gone to don't have to many choices to pick from I live in GA near Gainesville

yea, it also depends on who works there, there is a walmart back where my parents live that has one of the best fish departments all because of the guy that works there, the walmarts dont usually have a specified fish expert but he must have taken it on himself, no dead fish, really good advice, and a 90 day warranty. that gives you plenty of time to make decisions on if your fish will get along and observe their temperament, because im sure we all know that fish act completely different when they get settled in and that for me is usually after that 3 day return policy is over lol.
but it is especially nice if you make snap decisions at the store and fall in love with a fish that just wont work :(

but yea the walmart up here is crap so it all depends on who is in charge of taking care of the fish

i like the satisfaction of giving the 'mom and pop' sores the business those big corporations don't need anymore help.

Definitely go with a chain pet store over walmart, I can't think of any walmart that has a 'good' fish section. petsmart/petco and the other chains are hit and miss, it just depends on the employees, so you'll just have to visit them and see what kind of condition things are in.

I tend to see Petsmart having healthier fish than Petco, but that is just between the two I go to. I have been in a Petco that was pretty nice before though. :) I don't buy fish from either chain that much though.

As many have said, it depends. I travel across the country on occasion and try to spend some time in pet stores when my wife is (ugh) shopping. I have seen good and bad in all varieties of stores including chain pet stores, big box stores and the mom and pop outfits.

I am fortunate in my home area. The PetSmart has 2 really good people working in the aquatics section. The PetCo has a young man there that is a real fish enthusiast. One of the local stores has been there for 30 years, so they are very good. And, finally, the Walmart in the next town over has a good man there that happens to be my son. He tells me about how people mess up his tanks and it really upsets him. He isnt afraid to tell people if there is a problem with some of the fish or if they are making poor choices.

Best reasons to go to them (at least my local ones)?
PetSmart - lots of good fish on sale almost every week.
PetCo - Some selection that PetSmart doesnt have
Wet Pets - More 'different' varieties of fish like my strawberry and jade tiger barbs.
WalMart - Best prices for fish food and occasionally some decorations. Their selection isnt much different than PetSmart but the fish cost more there.

Thanks! Just wondering what you woulda gone to don't have to many choices to pick from I live in GA near Gainesville

I live in Cumming. I'd just about bet that Gainesville is a 1 day ship from here... if for any reason you are not comfortable with your local selection. :cool:

If there are any canadians inf this forum i would look into big al's crazy selection and wicked prices.Plus from my experience,very knoledgable.

severum mama said:
I live in Cumming. I'd just about bet that Gainesville is a 1 day ship from here... if for any reason you are not comfortable with your local selection. :cool:

Hm ... You sell fish?

severum mama said:
And plants, and inverts... but due to the holiday slow-down I will not be shipping again until just after the first of the year.

Cool! :D that's good I might just do that.

Truly I would go to a mom an pop store then the other 3 im kinda lucky bc I live near one of the best mom and pop stores in Maryland House of tropics! :) but the other 3 stores are good to buy supplies if the LFS is to high

I have found kijiji to be a great place to find a better selection,as allways its buyer beware,i allways use a test tank before i release a new fish into my main tank

IMO the beat thing to do is look around for the healthiest fish. When I am looking to make an addition to my tank I look at the mom and pop store up the street and a couple petsmarts and a couple petco's. There have been times that I have found sick fish at each store so I look for fish conditions.

One thing I hate about the big chain stores is that they have a centralize filtration system which means that even though you see separate tanks on the outside all that water is going to the same place so when at these large store it's a good idea to look in all the the tanks for sick fish.

Agreed,buying from breeder is usually the way i like to go,or ill watch a fish for a week or two,its a good bet with stores that wont sell right away too

One added note if you are going to buy from the chain store go look at the fish as soon at the store opens. This is so they don't have time to hide their sick fish in the large tank they have In the back.

Back
Top Bottom