Petco sandy/gravel was a mistake.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choonchiesback

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a tank from my brother who wasn't using it anymore and started it 3 days ago. Went to petco and got this tiny gravel (almost like sand) and I rinsed and rinsed until the water was clear. I filled the tank (with ro/di water) and woke up this morning to a VERY cloudy tank. I used an old filter sponge from an established tank and carbon pad too. Only thing new in the filter is the floss and phos binder which I rinsed really well to. Well my tank looks like this and I don't know what to do. I don't own a ro/di unit do I'd hate to lung another 40 gallons of water from the LFS. Any suggestions???

Attachments

• image-3785377747.jpg
    image-3785377747.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 142
This is what it looked like for two days.

Oh I will be doing a fish less cycle since I'm using an old sponge and carbon pad and will add a few fish flakes to get it going.

As of today ph is 7.3, nitrates are 0, nitrites are 0, and ammonia is still 0 too. I have never been so confused with a tank. And I've had tanks for the last 20 years.

Attachments

• image-3097621165.jpg
    image-3097621165.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 134
Looks good to me. if u are doing fw change the actinic bulb unless u like the color. Or if its a2 bulb fixture change one of them to a lower k rating.

Looks like it is clearing up.
Is this a fresh water tank? If so, you need to add minerals back into the RO/DI water as it is stripped of everything your fish and BB need to survive. What's wrong with your tap water?

Old house. I'm afraid of crappy pipes. Never got it tested. Just terrified of phos and algae out breaks in the future. What should I add to the water? Yes it will be freak water thinking about a (1) goldfish. Not sure yet.

Just check the water in the tank. Ammonia jumped up to 3 nitrate 10 and nitrite 0 ph is 7.3 and water is a bit on the hard side at about 150gh and kh is about 120.

LOL don't want green water or hair algae in the long run. I'll pass by the LFS and look up those products.

I have a canister filter for up to 75 gallons on it cause I was thinking of just getting one Moët, but I wouldn't want to part with it when it got to big so going with fancies instead. LOL. I may do a black comet if I find one. But if not I will do a black moor and a ryukin or an oranda. Or a panda. Not sure. Maybe I'll convince my better half to let me get a 125 balloon!!! LOL. Thanks mumma!

Choonchiesback said:
I have a canister filter for up to 75 gallons on it cause I was thinking of just getting one Moët, but I wouldn't want to part with it when it got to big so going with fancies instead. LOL. I may do a black comet if I find one. But if not I will do a black moor and a ryukin or an oranda. Or a panda. Not sure. Maybe I'll convince my better half to let me get a 125 balloon!!! LOL. Thanks mumma!

Cool. It's usually recommend to have 10x the tanks volume turned over an hour. I have a 2000L/h canister on a 150L tank :D slight overkill. :) I'd like to recommend ranchus. They are adorable IMO. They look like puppies lol.

I'd at least give your tap water a chance. No sense in wasting time/money on RO and conditioners if you don't have too.

Ok I just got home and this is what my tank looks like. Also there are a bunch of bubbles on top of the water. So confused. This has never happened to me in the 20+ years I've had tanks.

Ammonia .5
Nitrate 10ish
Nitrite 1ish
GH on the hardish side around 150
KH 120ish
pH 7.6

Attachments

• image-1127070096.jpg
    image-1127070096.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-4091583100.jpg
    image-4091583100.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-4159183551.jpg
    image-4159183551.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 66
OMG.....my black sand from Petco did the SAME EXACT THING.....now I know it's what caused my foamy water. :facepalm:

It didn't seem to affect the fish, and I never even knew it was foamy except when doing water changes (no bubbler in my tank). It's been set-up for about 3-4 weeks and is STILL a tiny bit sudsy. :nono:

Jill said:
OMG.....my black sand from Petco did the SAME EXACT THING.....now I know it's what caused my foamy water. :facepalm:

It didn't seem to affect the fish, and I never even knew it was foamy except when doing water changes (no bubbler in my tank). It's been set-up for about 3-4 weeks and is STILL a tiny bit sudsy. :nono:

I knew this was a mistake. This weird sand/gravel seems to me a nuisance. I hate to rip the tank apart. I'll try a water change and hope it helps.

Anyone know how to get rid of these bubbles??

Mumma I'm only a week in cycle (fish less) not to worried about numbers now. Just these **** bubbles lol I should had went with play sand, but then I couldn't get Goldies. Dilemmas!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom