Petco vs Petsmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petsmart or petco

• Petsmart

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Petco

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
Which is better?

I would go with Petco. But it all depends on where you're located.

I recently bought 4 guppies at Petsmart that had a disease, they killed all my original guppies in 24 hours.
The assistant manager admitted that they got a bad batch of fish because people have been returning them, but would not replace the four I bought because I flushed the bodies. Even though I had the receipt.
I emailed Petsmart about it and they never returned my email.
So I shop at Petco now.

In my area, Petsmart is better. The fish are pretty healthy, and the employees are more fish educated than Petco.

The prices at Petsmart are much more reasonable in my opinion. Around here the fish are healthier at Petsmart as well.

Well petsmart carries seachem products by me which I like. They also tend to be a little cleaner but petco seems to have more fish. Idk I really am not a fan of either I know what products I need so I mostly order online cuz it's cheaper for certain big ticket stuff. They are really just convenient that's all

I would have to go with PetSmart, simply because I've only been to PetCo once or twice (I don't have one locally).

I used to work at PetSmart, so I've been there quite a bit! The one I worked at was about 15 miles from my house. We're about to get a new one (opens September 2013) right down the road from me. I'm pretty excited!

In my area the petco has better staff, but never has the fish i want!!! And petsmart has a better selection, but the fish are more prone to disease, and there is only one person knowledgable that works there and she is moving!

Supply wise, I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. Certain brands can be found at one store but not the other. Recently I went shopping for silicone airline tubing. Petsmart has it and Petco does not.
Livestock wise, idk. I have not purchased fish since Oct 2012. Not a fan of central filtration systems.

Petsmart for me petco prices are realy hight for what your getting

Petsmart here. The employees are nicer and more knowledgeable and they sell more live plants than Petco. Fish prices are cheaper but supplies seem to be about the same price. I only go to Petco to get background solution because Petsmart doesn't carry it.

Petsmart is way better (at least in my area). The employees know a lot more about fish, the people at Petco are absolutely clueless, its really BAD. This one girl especially has ZERO business working in the fish section, she has no idea about anything fish related. I asked her if they had any 20 gallon Highs and she said, "What do you mean by 20 gallon Highs, never heard of that". So the next time I went in there, I decided to mess with her a little. I asked her what she could tell me about fishless cycling. Same response, she never heard of it.
The next time I went in I asked her if African cichlids would be ok with bettas (obviously not) and she said, "yeah, I guess". That was just too much for me. I went home and called the manager of the store, we had one of those come to Jesus talks, I was pretty blunt with him. She still works there but they won't let her anywhere near the fish now!

The only reason I go to Petco is because they are a lot closer to me than Petsmart, I only go there for supplies, never bought a fish there, nor will I ever.

Back
Top Bottom