Petition For a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20 gallon longs are the same height as 10 gallons anyway and only a few inches longer, so why not? It'll be healthier for the fish and a better experience for you :) Much better home for those gudgeons or gouramis too ;D

*Sign*

A 20 sounds good, give mom a big hug before you show her this.........

SIGN........

This is where I feel very lucky that my dad bought me 30 tanks for a fish room- when I want a bigger one, I just slowly go up in sizes! ;)
Definite sign! Just remember to keep the tank pristine so she doesn't have second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a better hobby for you to have then roaming the streets causing trouble, as someone said you'll have to learn things to upkeep the tank and fish, what parent can refuse a kid learning?

Lmao at the drum stick one

Sent from fish phone

I've seen these "convince my mom to let me get more ..." Posts a lot here, and I've been the mom type person in the house saying no to "just one more a little bigger" ...

My suggestion is always to try to listen a little more to where your mom is coming from. You can't bash your way through this, you have to answer her concerns.

My answer to "look at all these people who say you're wrong" would be, "none of them know why I'm saying no."

And in my experience, a teenager telling others "mom says no because" only ends up relaying part of the story. I bet there's more to this.

I might have said no when I was a stepmom to a teen because ...

It weighs a lot and you don't have furniture that can hold it up.

Our renter/homeowners insurance goes up if we have an aquarium larger than 10 gallons. Or, it won't cover water damage for more than that.

I'm not convinced I won't end up taking care of it.

You're going to college in a few years, dorms usually have a 10 gallon limit, and I don't want it left here.

You're going to ask me to buy it or get yourself in a spot where you have an emergency expense that I have to cover.

The room you want to put it in can't handle that much water evaporating (a true concern ... My last apartment had rusty door hinges, and a lot of mold repaired, from the humidity from the previous renters' aquarium).

You could just return the fish to the store or give it away, and next time you'll do more research before you buy.

I'm not convinced you understand how to care for fish.

Etc.

Even bcause of the size is a good reason, depending on where you want to put it.

When I was parenting a teen, the house rule for pets was that she had to come to us with a full plan for cost, cleaning, emergency expenses, and a demonstration that she knew all of the care involved.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've seen these "convince my mom to let me get more ..." Posts a lot here, and I've been the mom type person in the house saying no to "just one more a little bigger" ...

My suggestion is always to try to listen a little more to where your mom is coming from. You can't bash your way through this, you have to answer her concerns.

My answer to "look at all these people who say you're wrong" would be, "none of them know why I'm saying no."

And in my experience, a teenager telling others "mom says no because" only ends up relaying part of the story. I bet there's more to this.

Our renter/homeowners insurance goes up if we have an aquarium larger than 10 gallons. Or, it won't cover water damage for more than that.

You're going to college in a few years, dorms usually have a 10 gallon limit, and I don't want it left here.

You're going to ask me to buy it or get yourself in a spot where you have an emergency expense that I have to cover.

The room you want to put it in can't handle that much water evaporating (a true concern ... My last apartment had rusty door hinges, and a lot of mold repaired, from the humidity from the previous renters' aquarium).

You could just return the fish to the store or give it away, and next time you'll do more research before you buy.

Etc.

Even bcause of the size is a good reason, depending on where you want to put it.

When I was parenting a teen, the house rule for pets was that she had to come to us with a full plan for cost, cleaning, emergency expenses, and a demonstration that she knew all of the care involved.

And.... said!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Etc.

Well put trennamw !!! (Can I call you mom, lol ?)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

What kind of cories are they? Most corys I'm aware of don't get that large and will do perfectly fine in a 10g tank.

Tell her that fish keeping is a great hobby and stimulates the science nerd in all of us. Its great for youth as it keeps your brain stimulated on something other than the usual video games, social pressures, school, and eventual dating. When kids find a passion, its important to give them the tools to follow that passion.

This hobby is great as it incorporates science, nature, etc. A bigger tank is less work for everyone in the long run and you can add more fish.

ppo8820

Lol, I love my fish so much, I would do a lot for them. I barely ever play video games, I am usually searching the woods with my brothers, fishing at the dock ( I feel Sorry for those fish lol) or hanging out with my friends. I have time for all my tanks, like you said, but I find it hard to balance this all with my girlfriend and my brothers and friends. Thanks guys, keep it up!

Nils

Tell her that fish keeping is a great hobby and stimulates the science nerd in all of us. Its great for youth as it keeps your brain stimulated on something other than the usual video games, social pressures, school, and eventual dating. When kids find a passion, its important to give them the tools to follow that passion.

This hobby is great as it incorporates science, nature, etc. A bigger tank is less work for everyone in the long run and you can add more fish.

ppo8820
That's great advice PPO, are you a councillor......??

Back
Top Bottom