Petsmart Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I was just in Petsmart browsing their fish section and I saw these plants that they sell in plastic bags or containers. Are these plants ok to buy? Would they just die in an aquarium after a week or would they survive? Im wondering because I just saw plants in plastic (and i looked like sealed) containers with no visible water so I am curious.

Yeah, they are pretty good. I have a java fern that I've bought from them that I still have today.

Look at the names of the plants on the tubes and look them up to see if they are fully aquatic or not. My java fern came from those two years ago and now it's huge.

They are tissue cultures, all of them are grown emersed thats why they are not in water. I hear they make the transition to immersed faster than hydroponic plants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those are pretty good plants. I still have a couple anubius plants, an amazon sword, and a java fern that I got from them. I was really lazy and forgot about the plants for more than a week, remembered, planted them, and they're still doing really well. Good alternative to plants from my lfs which are way over priced and always COVERED in snails and snail eggs.

Are they the blue TopFin packages that have a clear plastic bag inside with a small plant and a gel like substance? If so, I and others on the forum have had good luck with them. The crypts are pretty low light tolerant. Others may have higher light requirments. I've grown Bacopa caroliniana, Alternanthera reineckii, and Staurogynes repens from those packs. I just did a Google search on "top fin live plants" and saw my tank on the first page. Crazy.

I have a compact amazon sword that was in the tube and some Alternanthera reineckii that was in the gel pack. Both were TopFin from Petsmart and are excellent plants.

Just know what plant you are buying. They do sell some plants that are better suited to terrariums.. Not everything they well is aquatic.

Yes I have bought a few of their plants and am pretty happy with them!! I got some amazon swords a year ago and they have grown well in my tank. Also, they are not infested with those stupid pond snail things that the ones at the lfs have :p

Back
Top Bottom