Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chemicals are only a temporary fix. Most fish will tolerate high PH. My advice is to not mess with any chemicals and leave it alone.

my ph was 7.5/7.6 when i tested it earlier today....i was told that was bad...

nope... mine is 7.8 in all my tanks... if its stable, dont mess with it. and be careful of any advice given by whoever told you that too ;)

ok thx, jus wondering b/c i bought new fish n didnt want them to die....b/c i bought an angel fish a while back and it died the next day, guess they are just too finicky on their water...

Is your tank cycled? New fish death is more likely a result of an uncycled tank rather than different pH. Provided you properly acclimatize the fish to your water, you should be able to do angels at 7.5/6. They are much more demanding of clean water (no ammonia/nitrites) than perfect pH.

yes my water is cycled and all my levels are fine, i have many other fish that are in the tank perfectly fine....angel fish are just hard to keep, everyone i know that gets one they die.

If you are confident that you need to lower the pH, safest way I've heard of to do so is to add some peat filter media or a massive chunk of driftwood, though I think the peat is supposed to work better. Think both Fluval and Eheim make it for the canister filters. The peat was recommended by several users on a cichlid forum.

Fish will do better at a stable high pH than at a constantly fluctuating pH. Unfortunately even tap water pH fluctuates fairly often.

I know some cichlids are particularly sensitive to pH, I think mainly among the Africans. At least for my rams, the closer to neutral, the better. Not certain but I think angels are also NW, so I'd guess that they have similar pH 'preferences'.

Africans like higher phs (7.8+) and NWs like lower phs (7or below (but not too low, unless you want hydrochloric acid lol) but like many have already said high pH isn't nearly as bad as one that fluctuates.

I have a koi angel fish (Tito) that I've kept both originally by himself in a 10 gal, then as a member of a community in a 25 tall. He's by far the more hardy of the fish in my tank (next to 6 zebra danios, which are VERY hardy). What are you doing to acclimate your fish right after you bring them home from the pet store?

I have Blue Rams too... but my tap water fluctuates from acidic to basic every couple months. Last month it was right at 6.0, and it is currently between 7.1 and 7.2, and unfortunately it is pretty well buffered, so it doesn't adjust well, but my rams are happy, so I don't mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom