ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't try to change the pH. That would only create more problems. Just acclimate your fish like normal, and they will be fine.

Kim

Welcome to AA Chile!

I agree with LittlePuff. Attempting to alter the pH with chemicals and buffers often leads to pH swings, which are problematic. What is funny is that so many of us in North America are trying to LOWER the pH, not raise it. Rather than chemical additives, crushed coral sand / gravel is rich in carbonates that can buffer the pH higher, consistently, and over a long time. But the pH would likely end up near 8. You don't say what your pH is now, and how high you are trying to go, or why you want to do it. Are you trying to raise cichlids (most common FW fish that needs higher pH) ? Can you tell us more?

yah i'm trying to raise it for chichlids and fresh water right now it is at pH 6.3 and i want it to be higher around 7.4 i think thats good right?
yah i know i'm not supost to mess with it but i heard that there are some things in rocks and shells that raise it. well any advice would be great Thanks

Unless your buffer is too low and the ph will drop it would be best to leave it. If you do want to raise it a small amount baking soda will increase kh which will increase ph by a controlled amount. You will have to add baking soda to every water change and measure it to make sure it's the right amount. A more expensive solution would be to use the buffers sold for RO water. Since ro water is essentially pure h20 you have to add back in all the buffer and minerals that were removed. These products would work about like baking soda. You can try some limestone rock but it would probably buffer your water beyond what you want.

I woul use crushed coral gravel, or some other substrate that is high in carbonate. That would provide a buffer that would keep your pH higher and stable. I haven't done this before, since my local water is pH 7.6 to 7.8. Can Anyone else recomend a gravel or substrate for this purpose? You might be able to find such a substrate in the SW sections, since SW is high pH.

edit: Kudos are points that you earn over time and with each post. When someone gives you advice that you find particularly helpful, or is otherwise deamed worthy of praise by you, you can give them kudos. In fact, I am giving you 50 of them right now!

oh, what is your tap water pH after sitting out all night? I ask this in case your tap water pH is higher, and something else going on in your tank is lowering your pH.

I wouldn't use the baking soda. There are some people that do it successfully, but for someone just starting out, I wouldn't even attempt it. Plus, crushed coral is much easier to use. I put mine in the canister filter. You can also use it as a substrate. It will increase the hardness and buffering ability. If you have the room in the filter, put a bag of it in the back of the filter in place of where the carbon would be. Make sure you put it in a mesh bag beforehand though. I use it in my Cichlid tank and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom