ph alter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchz

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the best way to get a ph to a range of 7.0. i am using ro water and have to get gh and kh up to normal levels. please help!

Try Kent RO right or seachem equilibrium to add GH to your water. Add baking soda or crushed coral to raise the KH of your water. Crushed coral also adds calcium and will raise your GH as well. Seachem alkaline buffer is a combination of bicarbonate salts and will raise your KH too.

You could also just mix your RO water with a small amount of tap water.

But ,y tap Is VERRY screwed up 40 ppm of nitrates and ph off the charts.

In that case, I think the most precise, and imo pretty simple solution, is to use a specified ratio of acid buffers to alkaline buffers to achieve desired KH & pH and then a remineralizing product to increase GH. The products you will want to use depend on if you plan on having a planted tank or not. If you plan on having a planted tank you don't want to use phosphate based buffers and you don't want to use mineral salts that include sodium.

Do you plan on having a planted tank? What kind of fish are you keeping? What is your ideal KH, pH, & GH?

Phosphate buffers would work I do not mind

try using Seachem. Neutral Regulator to buffer and maintain pH and Seachem. Replenish to increase GH.

Seachem states that neutral regulator will precipitate calcium and magnesium (both are in Replenish) but only "excess" amounts (don't really know exactly what that is). But you can use both together to buffer RO water to maintain a neutral pH and provide minerals for osmotic regulation.

Also, neutral regulator conditions water exactly as Prime, so there is no need to use Prime when you use Neutral Regulator. But if you are using RO water you aren't using chlorinated water anyway.

Back
Top Bottom