PH and water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobbieD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My ph always test around 7-7.5 ish and definitely dont want it to be higher. Howerver my water is always on the soft side when i have it tested at lfs or my own tests. My fish prefer a little harder water, so how can i increase water hardness without raising the ph, or is that possible? I have tetras and as i understand it they prefer lower ph. How is it possible that they say my ph is a little too high but my water too soft.. Thanks! Btw, i use filtered tap water or spring water in tanks, and they are both soft here in southeast.

Easiest way to increase the General hardness (GH) is by adding some Seachem Equilibrium. It contains calcium and magnesium sulphates. Calcium and magnesium are the major ions associated with GH and sulphates will not increase the pH. You will also get a touch of iron, manganese and some extra potassium.

If you add compounds that contain carbonates or bicarbonates you raise the carbonate hardness (KH) and this is what will increase the pH.

Thank you so much, makes perfect sense and you are so easy to understand. Will get this! Btw, do you know if putting dry oak leaves in are beneficial? Ive dont this to try make the water more brackish. Tia

Thank you, glad i read bc i did lightly boil them before i put in, which is obviously not necessary. And im glad it cleared up that the leaves do not need to be taken out, as some have stated they cause ammonia to spike when deteriorating which didnt make sense to me. Now im gonna put more in for my beta, who cares about the tan water he will love it ;) and some for my red phantom tetras. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom