pH at 8.2+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Checked my pH and it's at least 8.2, I'm new at this but I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be near that high. How can I get it to a safer level? My fish, 2 platies, 1 albino rainbow shark seem to be doing fine though.

00youknowit00 said:
Checked my pH and it's at least 8.2, I'm new at this but I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be near that high. How can I get it to a safer level?

U can add peat to Ur filter. That will help lower the ph! But remember don't chase ur ph! U want a constant steady ph! Fish do better in a steady ph environment other than a fluctuating ones.

As long as your pH is stable, it's fine at that level. If you're finding it jumping up and down, that's when it becomes unsafe for fish and you may need to buffer it.

My pH is lock solid at 7.8 and all my fish and plants are doing great.

Checked my pH and it's at least 8.2, I'm new at this but I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be near that high. How can I get it to a safer level?

:welcome: to AA

Couple of questions, How old and Large is your tank, what fish do you have.
This can help us give you additional advice.

Generally ... fish can adapt to a pH than is normally higher or lower than what you may read or hear about. I would not recommend using chemicals to lower your pH ... you can instead put driftwood or ... filter media with peatmoss. It's sudden pH swings that can be lethal, which tends to happen when we try to lower pH to a specific number. If you acclimate a fish properly ... like the drip method ... they'll tolerate relatively high pH's. A stable pH is much more important than getting the perfect pH number.

Edit .. sorry .. got distracted .. re-read your post and saw your stock.

It's a 20gallon tank, its been a week with fish in it. So unless I start seeing problems, best thing to do is leave it alone? And I'm not very fond of the idea of putting chemicals into the water.

It's a 20gallon tank, its been a week with fish in it. So unless I start seeing problems, best thing to do is leave it alone? And I'm not very fond of the idea of putting chemicals into the water.

In regards to pH ... yep leave it alone. The only chemicals you should be using is de-chlorinator for your PWC's ... assuming your using tap ... which is what generally sets your pH number. The other chemicals is the API test master kit when checking your water parameters ... of course those don't go into the tank:D

id have to agree with the leaving it alone advice.. if you want, test your tap water to see what your pH is there, if its below 8.2..every pwc you do will bring it down slightly, if its above 8.2 (which I doubt) it would raise your tank pH with every pwc. I noticed you said its been a week with fish in it, did you cycle first then add the fish? or did you simply fill the tank and add fish?

Well, I just did what the peole at my LFS told me. I ran the tank 48 hours, then had some "food fish" they gave me to jump start the system, that went till it died a day later, then I was told to wait 4-5 days before putting fish in. So after 5 days I put my 3 fish in.

00youknowit00 said:
Well, I just did what the peole at my LFS told me. I ran the tank 48 hours, then had some "food fish" they gave me to jump start the system, that went till it died a day later, then I was told to wait 4-5 days before putting fish in. So after 5 days I put my 3 fish in.

Cycling takes more than 5 days! On average a tank takes about 4weeks to cycle!

Here's your guide for the next few weeks. I've been on the site about 5 minutes and this is already the second time I've linked this article unfortunately...your story is a common one.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Your going to want to follow the link eco23 gave you ... at this point it will hopefully save you time, heartache and $$.

As a general rule ... whatever your LFS says ... do the opposite .. literally.
Or better yet ... come here first. We actually want to save you time, heartache, $$ and more importantly ... your fish.

Wow, okay thanks, I'll see how everything goes, guess I'll end up doing a "real" cycle.

I did a fish in cycle .. I didn't know any better and unlike you, I wasn't even
a member of AA so I had no clue about PWC's. Thankfully, I have a fairly large tank and I did enough research (could've done more) to understand the nitrogen cycle so I bought a few small hardy TigerBarbs to start the cycle. I didn't even do a PWC, or buy a test kit till after I joined AA (a few weeks later!) and learned where the bacteria actually grows and lives. Again thankfully the large water volume allows for some error.

If you can rehome / return the fish ... consider doing so .. otherwise, just be prepared to test and PWC constantly

I'm going to try and keep them going, I JUST did a PWC, and plan on doing one every 3 days or so instead of every week. I found AA after I found baby fish in my tank. Since then I've been doing what y'all advice, not my LFS.

I'm going to try and keep them going, I JUST did a PWC, and plan on doing one every 3 days or so instead of every week. I found AA after I found baby fish in my tank. Since then I've been doing what y'all advice, not my LFS.

I'm glad you found us :). Remember that how often and how much water you need to change is not dictated by # of days...it is based of your test kit. You have to keep the ammonia and nitrIte under.25 at all times until the tank cycles and stabilizes. Very often daily pwc's are needed. I'm sure this has been mentioned, but run out and buy an API Master Test Kit. They are the most accurate available kits, and will be absolutely mandatory not only during cycling...but for the entire time you are a fish keeper.

Back
Top Bottom