pH balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishSage

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the ideal pH balance for a freshwater tank under 100 gallons?

Depends on the species, tank size doesn't mean anything, most fish can acclimate to different pH what they can't do is thrive/live in tanks that have big fluctuations.

The ideal range for fresh water is 7.0 with a range of 6.8 to 7.2 as acceptable. This is the ideal for a newly cycled tank because when you start getting fish, the fish stores usually have their pH. Once your tank has been fully stocked, may find keeping the pH at that level difficult, but the pH levels may drift either way depending on the hardness of the water. The fish adjust to it because it happens slowly when it drifts. Once fish are in the tank, never adjust the pH more than 0.2 degrees over a 24 hour period. Quick pH changes over that amount can cause pH shock in fish. There are hobbyist that are successfully keeping acid water at a pH as high as 8.0 because the fish slowly got used to it and pH control can be the biggest ongoing water perameters to fight with. The biggest problem with a high or low pH is if you decide to get more fish. You can't safely put a new fish in a tank at 8.0 if you bring it home in aa bag at 7.0

The ideal range for fresh water is 7.0 with a range of 6.8 to 7.2 as acceptable. This is the ideal for a newly cycled tank because when you start getting fish, the fish stores usually have their pH. Once your tank has been fully stocked, may find keeping the pH at that level difficult, but the pH levels may drift either way depending on the hardness of the water. The fish adjust to it because it happens slowly when it drifts. Once fish are in the tank, never adjust the pH more than 0.2 degrees over a 24 hour period. Quick pH changes over that amount can cause pH shock in fish. There are hobbyist that are successfully keeping acid water at a pH as high as 8.0 because the fish slowly got used to it and pH control can be the biggest ongoing water perameters to fight with. The biggest problem with a high or low pH is if you decide to get more fish. You can't safely put a new fish in a tank at 8.0 if you bring it home in aa bag at 7.0
Acidic is 6 neutral Is 7, 8 is not acidic Anything over 7is basic anything under 7 is acidic

Here's the thing, most fish will acclimate to many wide ranges of pH, except species that absolutely need a strict pH example (discus) which is far from a beginner fish and very expensive and only recommended to be kept by highly experienced aquarist.

If you get into something more common say rainbows, or tetras, or angels etc etc they will acclimate to a wide range of pH, there's really no exact answer as most every single fish likes different pH /hardness /temp etc etc.

As far as pH swings co2 ran planted tanks swing at max 1.0 units of a pH drop, to me this is to extreme but fish can handle more than 0.2

Acidic is 6 neutral Is 7, 8 is not acidic Anything over 7is basic anything under 7 is acidic
Sorry. Meant to write that some hobbyist keep acid loving fish at 8.0. I wasn't meaning to say that 8.0 was acid. My bad

Here's the thing, most fish will acclimate to many wide ranges of pH, except species that absolutely need a strict pH example (discus) which is far from a beginner fish and very expensive and only recommended to be kept by highly experienced aquarist.

If you get into something more common say rainbows, or tetras, or angels etc etc they will acclimate to a wide range of pH, there's really no exact answer as most every single fish likes different pH /hardness /temp etc etc.

As far as pH swings co2 ran planted tanks swing at max 1 pH drops, to me this is to extreme but fish can handle more than 0.2
It is true that fish can handle a little more than 0.2 at a time but more than that at time is stressful. I watched someone drop 2 large Oscars from 7.0 to 8.0. One of them just immediately drifted to th bottom and layed on it's side as dead. We couldn't even tell it was breathing. After 20 minutes, my friend went to remove the dead fish with a net and the fish took off like a rocket, but just laid down again elsewhere. After 12 hours the oscar was swimming fine. Most fish don't survive this kind of pH shock.

It is true that fish can handle a little more than 0.2 at a time but more than that at time is stressful. I watched someone drop 2 large Oscars from 7.0 to 8.0. One of them just immediately drifted to th bottom and layed on it's side as dead. We couldn't even tell it was breathing. After 20 minutes, my friend went to remove the dead fish with a net and the fish took off like a rocket, but just laid down again elsewhere. After 12 hours the oscar was swimming fine. Most fish don't survive this kind of pH shock.
No definitely not, if I know my fish stores pH is say 6.5 I know mine is 7.4 I will drip acclimate them for an hour - 2 hours even though this is more stressful to them, I have not lost a fish by introducing them to my tank and I have only drip acclimated 2 fish out of probably 200 I've had.

That's great that these ph differences along with drip acclamation worked for you. But I stand my ground that large pH swings are risky for fish. I the fastest killer of new fish than any other water perameters.
No definitely not, if I know my fish stores pH is say 6.5 I know mine is 7.4 I will drip acclimate them for an hour - 2 hours even though this is more stressful to them, I have not lost a fish by introducing them to my tank and I have only drip acclimated 2 fish out of probably 200 I've had.

That's great that these ph differences along with drip acclamation worked for you. But I stand my ground that large pH swings are risky for fish. I the fastest killer of new fish than any other water perameters.
Yeah alot of people will also agree that most fish will be fine in pH they don't prefer, I was actually told not to drip acclimate them because it brings on more stress.

A lot of people will also say it's absolutely fine to just drop fish in a tank that has different pH than the lfs directly in the tank just never add the lfs water, actually always quarantine.

By drip acclimation you will not shock a fish via pH just an FYI it takes 1-2 hours and they are acclimated and will be absolutely fine, I won't drip acclimate a fish unless the lfs fish water is more than 1 unit different than mine.

Yeah alot of people will also agree that most fish will be fine in pH they don't prefer, I was actually told not to drip acclimate them because it brings on more stress.

A lot of people will also say it's absolutely fine to just drop fish in a tank that has different pH than the lfs directly in the tank just never add the lfs water, actually always quarantine.

By drip acclimation you will not shock a fish via pH just an FYI it takes 1-2 hours and they are acclimated and will be absolutely fine, I won't drip acclimate a fish unless the lfs fish water is more than 1 unit different than mine.
Your drip acclamation seems to work for you and I too agree to never pour fish store water into the tank...always a net transfer.

Back
Top Bottom