PH climbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My girlfriend and I started a 55 Gallon Freshwater tank about four weeks ago. Unfortunately we put fish in too early because of some bad advice. Anyways, the PH started to climb randomly about a week and a half ago, and it made it almost to 7.8. We've put PH down in it
http://www.aquariumguys.com/phdown125oz.html
But it's been a slow process to bring it down even a little. Any ideas as to what may be working against us?
And what are tricks to stabilize the PH?

First of all, WELCOME TO AA! :D

Ok, onto the quetsions.

Stop using the pH down. It will cause your pH to swing drastically and will harm your fish. Instead, try to find the root of the problem. What kind of substrate are you using?

Do you have any of the following in the tank:
Real Coral
Seashells
Crushed Coral
Rocks (if so, what kind?)

Also, what are your current water test results (for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)? If you don't have a test kit, take your water to a lfs that uses the liquid test kits, not the strips. The strips are not as accurate. If you are using the strips, invest in a Master Test Kit. Aquarium Pharmacuticals makes a great test kit that costs $12.99 plus shipping ($6) from www.bigalsonline.com If you go to the lfs for test results, make them give you the exact numbers. Sometimes they will tell you It's fine. Make them give you the numbers.

What is your water change schedule like?

what kind of decor is in your tank some of the decor you get will also raise the PH. i found that out the hard way. dont ever buy decor from wal-mart unless you can make sure it's make from plastic.

mentallylost said:
What kind of fish are you keeping? Some fish species like the African Cichlids that I keep like PH close to 9.0.
This is what it says in the profile: "55 Gallon Freshwater/Undergravel Filter Fish: 1 Bala, 2 Angels, 1 Cat"

I would say ditch the undergravel filter and get a HOB filter like an emperor 400 or aquaclear 70, if you can of course.
pH down and pH up are not good to use. Instead natural ways are the best. Peat in the filter and driftwood will slowly lower pH but how much depends on quite a few things.
We need to know the answers to the ?'s fishyfanatic mentioned to help you furthur.

D'oh! I didn't think to look in the profile. Even then, the Angels can handle water up to 8.0 ph. I'm not sure about the bala and cats though.

Actually angels prefer an acidic pH. Balas do fine in slightly acidic to slightly alkaline (like about 6.4-7.6).
PBirdsong do a test. Put some tap water into a cup or some other container for about 24 hours and then test it's pH. That will be very close to what the pH in the tank will be if there is nothing altering it.

Do you have any of the following in the tank:
Real Coral
Seashells
Crushed Coral
Rocks (if so, what kind?)

Nope, none of the above. My only thought is that a twenty percent water change we did may have caused it, but the tap water here only shows a PH around 7.2, not 7.8. But you all did give me some good things to look into. We do have the liquid test kit. I'll do a test in the morning for everything and report it here. I know the tank is still establishing.
I'll let you all know what we find.

First of all, WELCOME TO AA!

Cute! :lol:

add some driftwood. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing but it drops ph. Fake deco will not drop your ph so i go for driftwood.

If your pH is fluctuating, there is something that is causing it and needs to be fixed. Just a thought, but are you using city or well water?

City water. We are considering that our decor may have something to do with it. Stupid Question: where do I get driftwood for my aquarium?

Test results:
Ammonia: 0.25-0.50 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
PH: 7.2

To make sure it is the decor you can do a vinegar test. put one drop on the decor if it fizz or bubbles that is raise your ph in the tank. make to wash it very well if that is not the cause. its safe for the tank if you get no reaction. look at lfs or online. www.drsfostersmith.com

To make sure it is the decor you can do a vinegar test. put one drop on the decor if it fizz or bubbles that is raise your ph in the tank.

Did the vinegar test but no bubbles or fizzing on any of the decorations we have.

I'd say go get some driftwood first and see how it goes. It does wonders for me in naturally lowering the pH for my tetras.

sorry i couldn't help is there anyting else in your tank that could be raise it. what is your substrate

It's rocks. :lol:

Actually I don't remember. Maybe tomorrow I'll have enough time to run buy the place I bought it from to see what brand it is.
Could the carbon cartridges for the undergravel filter raise PH?

Also, how low will driftwood bring the PH?

driftwood will lower PH depending on your KH
i dont know the math for it sorry.
test some of your rocks that will save you time on going to the store.same test as before.

Back
Top Bottom