pH Down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
The pH in my tank seems to be around a 7.3. I have 3 African Cichlids, can I get away with this? If I can't, is there anything around the house I can use to loswer the pH, or should I just buy it from the store?

African cichlids from the rift lakes like pH values between 7.8 and 8.3 and up to 9.0 for Tanganyikans. African river cichlids like the pH values around 7.0. What species do you have? Your tank may be way too small for most African cichlids, river or lake. We'll find out. Just let us know.

BTW...7.3 is fine. It's not going to hurt them. What will hurt any fish is a sudden change in pH. Keep it stable. If anything you may want to bring the pH up, not down and that's simply done by using a piece of decorative coral, crushed shells or African Rift Lake salt.

I have Perciformes I believe. They are just babies, so I know I have plenty of room in my tank, they are barely an inch each and will only grow to 6. I just wanted to make sure my pH was ok. Thank You.

That's cool. They take awhile to grow so you have time before they need a bigger tank. African cichlids are so tolerable over a lot of differences in the water. Toughie fish whether from the lakes or the rivers. They're so cute when they're that small...lol.

Back
Top Bottom