ph Fluctuations: How much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss.lottie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55L tropical freshwater tank (1 betta and 1 L104 pleco) with a ph that has lately been gradually fluctuating between 6.6 to 6.8 due to the Indian almond leaves I've been adding to help prevent my betta from developing an infection from the scale he lost recently (I also regularly dose the tank with a buffer). Would these kinds of fluctuations be dangerous? Also, how much time is needed between ph changes so as to not shock the fish?

I have a 55L tropical freshwater tank (1 betta and 1 L104 pleco) with a ph that has lately been gradually fluctuating between 6.6 to 6.8 due to the Indian almond leaves I've been adding to help prevent my betta from developing an infection from the scale he lost recently (I also regularly dose the tank with a buffer). Would these kinds of fluctuations be dangerous? Also, how much time is needed between ph changes so as to not shock the fish?

Not dangerous in the slightest. The pH is changing due to weak tannic acids released from the leaf. It's normal for ph to change over the course of the day in the wild. The fish will very unlikely be shocked by a change pH.

Back
Top Bottom