pH is too low, how to adjust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huffdaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 10 gal tank with 3 guppies. Things are looking pretty good these days, but I checked my pH for the first time in a while today (yeah, I know) and it is down at 6.0. It has typically been around 7, but it has been several weeks since I last checked it. I think this is probably too low and needs to come up, but the question is the best way to do this. I have some pH Up and pH Down solutions that came with my pH test kit, but I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do. I'd appreciate any advice you have on how to correct this.

Thanks,

Alan

I had similar issues and it turned out my water was ridiculously soft so wouldn't maintain the pH. The way to find out if that's the problem is to get a kH test kit. If you do have soft water, placing crushed coral in the filter (or under the substrate) will gradually raise your pH without shocking your fish. Wood will help to make your pH lower but shouldn't account for that big of a drop.

Mmm, well, IME with very HARD water, I have just acclimated the fish slowly & they have all done substantially well. I've been told as long as it's steady and nothing fluctuating, that fish can adapt to many parameters. I personally wouldn't change it if your guppies are doing well.

guppies in pH6 may not good for long term. To raise pH, you can put in a small limestone in the tank or a bag of crushed coral in the filter/tank.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how the ph would have dropped. Did you test your other parameters? Did you do anything to the tank that is new? Do not use ph up or down products. There are more natural ways as mentioned. How old is yoru test kit? I want to be sure your test kit is accurate before you start messing with the ph. A stable ph is more important than adjusting it. I would test your ph over the next few days and test the ph in your tap water as well to see if the readings are consistent.

jbarr said:
Mmm, well, IME with very HARD water, I have just acclimated the fish slowly & they have all done substantially well. I've been told as long as it's steady and nothing fluctuating, that fish can adapt to many parameters. I personally wouldn't change it if your guppies are doing well.

I have very soft water and can't seen to keep a constant ph in my 10 gal. but i have an undergravel filter, so where would i put the crushed coral? under the gravel? also, where would i find some? (sorry if these are stupid questions).

How long has the tank been established? Old Tank Syndrome can be marked by a drop in pH over time, as waste within the substrate (you won't get rid of it ALL when you gravel vac) gradually decays, acidifying things.

Edit: Ok, if you have a UGF, my question would be: when did you last clean out underneath it? This could be accumulated detritus causing the drop. This isn't your fault, it's just one of the downsides of UGFs...

I'd go with the recommended natural method of improving things, by adding a piece of rock to your tank which will raise and then buffer the pH to more beneficial levels.

Remove the UGF, it is not good for your tank because it accumulates waster and can't be cleaned when you do vaccum.

gu2high said:
Remove the UGF, it is not good for your tank because it accumulates waster and can't be cleaned when you do vaccum.

Ok, well, if i do that, what type of filter do you suggest i get?

Do you do regular PWCs? what's your maintenance schedule like? Anything new in the tank?

It's best to find the cause to keep it from happening. Some more details might help us figure it out.

If you do remove the UGF, purchase another filter first, (I recommend an AquaClear) and keep the UGF with the other filter running for a couple of weeks at least so as to avoid any mini-cycles. This will give your new filter a chance to have bacteria build up in it. I agree that it very well might be Old tank Syndrome.

Is it wise to just remove the UGF? if there is indeed alot of waste in there, stirring it up might cause a nitrate/ammonia spike.

When i moved my driftwood and replanted my 44 gallon, my nitrates went up to 60ppm... They're usually around 10. I don't gravel vac often (a few times a year *hides head in shame*) but stirring up the waste that is in there can't really be good.

Back
Top Bottom