pH Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good afternoon all :)

For a start, the pH of my tap water is 8.4. I had to completely break down and clean a 10g due to a complete die off and reset using only my tap water..(on the previous set-up I had used RO water that I had retreated with Kent's RO Right).

I currently have a small piece of driftwood and two silk plants in the tank for decoration. I tested the pH yesterday, which would have had the tank running for a week, and it had dropped to 6.0.

I think I read somewhere that driftwood can cause a drop in pH but I can't get this water to stabilize. Immediately after a water change it will jump to about 7.4 and then by 48 hours later it is back to 6.0.

pH up isn't working so it has to be a buffering issue..only thing I can think of is the driftwood but there has to be a way to counteract the effects....

Any ideas?

Sit your tap water out in a bucket or cup overnight... maybe even 48 hours since that seems to be the timeframe its dropping. See if it's dropping that much. If so, you've got some crazy water.

Back
Top Bottom