PH issues for my 26 gln.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redraptor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So about a week ago I noticed my taeniatus looking a little stressed so I checked my water. 78 degrees consistent, no nitrities, practically no nitrates, low ammonia and ph 6.4.

So really low ph which they don't like(they where happy when the tank was ph 7.0) This tank has had flukes before so I did a water change and added copper treatment to the tank to be safe(no inverts) and hit the tank with 7.0 buffer. Checked the water. no change in ph at all, the buffer bounced.

Waited 2 days since it was the weekend and couldn't get to the lfs. Got new carbon, cleaned and serviced the filter, did another 20% water change. Hit the tank with buffer. No change, bounced again. Doubled buffer dose and tried again. Bounced. Checked if my test kit was ok on my other tanks. Normal readings, test kits ok., Today, took out the decorations and vacuumed the gravel extensively, didnt pull up anything to heavy, 25% water change, plus buffer, up to ph6.6.

No wood in the tank, one live plant(amazon sword) been in there 2 months without issue. Tank has 4 cherry barbs, 2 p. taeniatus and 2 cory cats. nothing else. Running a fluval 105 for 5 months now just got new carbon. the substrate is gravel with a little sand and some crushed coral and a shell added to the tank. I should have high ph, not low. Water out of the tap here is 7-7.2 and hard. Anyone have any ideas?

update. Got a nitrite spike last night(probably to many water changes trying to fight the ph) and lost 2 fish(female taeniatus) moved the male with a dripper over to my big tank in a breeder box so my krib doesn't kill him. hes looking a little better, I say 30% chance of survival up from 0% in the 26. one barb ate it, other 3 looking unhappy, corys seem ok. still no clue whats keeping the ph down.. added some neutralizer to slow down the nitrite. well fingers crossed the male lives....

Back
Top Bottom