pH, KH, GH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pH, KH, GH....do they matter?

• Total voters

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have asked a few people on their opinion on these topics through PM, but I figured it would be nice to make a thread and poll of it too! :) So, as far as selecting fish go, do you think the above three should be really taken into consideration? Or do you beleive most fish can adapt well to foreign conditions?

Thanks!

I definitely take them into account. I keep fish that like their water to be on the soft acidic side. If I decided I wanted to keep cichlids, I would set up a new tank with the harder, alkaline water they prefer. Although I've heard that fish can adapt to different water conditions, I think that refers to smaller differences. I imagine that it would also come at a cost to the fish in reduced immunity and lifespan. What I haven't always taken into consideration, is temperature. I believed what I was told- that 26c is the ideal temp for tropical fish. So I have a panda Cory in the same tank as my sterbais, peppers etc :-(

Thanks! I am just always so unsure of which fish will adapt and live happily, and which ones will not adapt and not be happy. :)

Yes and no. ;)
My main opinion on the subject is that as long as the conditions are stable and you aren't adding a whole ton of chemicals to the mix most fish can adapt to your tap water.
Would I personally mix fish from different water chemistries? Nope.
However on the subject I will say that I have friends breeding brichardis with a (stable) pH of 6.5 haha.

Last edited:
Under most circumstances, no. Unless you have like liquid rock or EXTREMELY soft water, there is no need to fret about those parameters. Also, there do seem to be some touchier shrimp that like a specific hardness and pH range. However discus, notoriously touchy fish, have been bred in much higher pHs than recommended. So, the rasbora and mollies? They would be fine together. Very few times do you have to take those parameters into consideration IMO. Most times you only worry about them when wanting to breed, but even then most fish will breed outside their hardness and pH zone. I keep livebearers, loaches, and rams all in the same tank, with no problems.

I think most stores you buy fish from have all the tropical (non-cichlid) tanks connected to the same filtration system nowadays, so they're already in the same ph before you buy them.

I'm only really concerned about them if I wanna breed my fish, or they change suddenly!(pH mainly)

The store I get my fish from have relatively the same pH etc as my tap water so I don't have to worry too much.

I'm enjoying this thread bc I too wondered about the different pH ranges!! I was told not to put neons in my tanks bc of my high but stable pH

I'm not as concerned about those parameters with fish as I am with plants. I use all three to help pinpoint my CO2 levels. Most store bought fish will adapt easily.

As of right now I do premix to get a higher GH & KH. I premix everthing in a 32g + bin & 10g of water to that 42g in total. I'm always spot on with my lvls in the tank and what I add so there is no shock. As I kept reading I found out that it wasnt really needed. The new 130g I have I wont be premixing anything. I do wish my KH was higher than 3, just anycase anything on the ph side drops.

Thanks everyone!

One of the reasons I ask is because I am never sure what to say when it comes to stocking advice. I wonder if I should tell someone they shouldn't buy something due to their water (even if behavior isn't an issue).......how confusing! :lol:

Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread, but I had a "clarify" question for the members who selected "Yes."

Do you personally think that they matter only when differentiating community fish and African Cichlids or Discus, for example, or do you think they matter in the "community fish" world too?

Thanks for your opinions.

Back
Top Bottom