Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
PH Level

Is there some kind of rock/anything that can be put into the canister filter to keep the PH of the water stable, like 7.0-7.5? I read somewhere there are peat fibers can be use to keep the PH low in the 6.0-6.5 range? Or some sort of rock to keep the PH in the high range of 7.5-8.0 but can't see that find that much info about it; any one?
Thanks

Old 12-12-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

nguyen27....

Any calcium carbonate based rock will raise your pH. Limestone does a pretty good job of it. Don't think I'd put it in the canister filter though and don't expect miracles with it in your tank.

Out of curiosity...what is the current pH of your aquarium and why do you want to raise it to 7.5 - 8.0? Are you keeping African Rift Lake cichlids?? (Somehow I remember you posting about keeping Africans in an earlier post.)

Old 12-12-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Fruitbat;
No I'm not looking to raise my PH, but it was a curious question tho, yeah my tap water come out straight at 7.5 so I just use the water! I keep both Severums and African (1 electric yellow and albino cichlid) in the same tank, I guess the 7.5 PH level just make everyone happy!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

A pH of 7.5 will be OK for your African Cichlids and your Severums will do well in it too. If you keep up with regular water changes and don't overfeed then your pH should remain reasonably stable.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to cindywindy
Nguyen,

What Fruitbat says is correct.

Calcium carbonate-based shells and rocks will indeed raise the KH and the pH in your tank, making it more suitable for African cichlids in those tanks with either an unstable KH, or a pH that is not ideal. In addition to the limestone, you can also use crushed coral which can be found in the substrate department of your LFS. To use this, you can either put a few tablespoons in a mesh baggie (found in the paint-straining department of Home Depot for about $2) and place it in your filter compartment or mix it directly into your substrate.
TFH Magazine webforum
www.tropicalresources.net
www.tfhmagazine.com
cindywindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, ph level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com