Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ph levels to high

Ever since I've had my tank setup my water always seems to read a ph if 8-8.5 my tap water is always neutral so there is something in the tank causing it I just haven't worked out what yet. However my question is, is this a harmful ph for my fish ?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best thing to do is keep a stable PH, most fish can adapt to 8.0 and for some it's very beneficial ph swings are worse then a high ph that's stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

It has seemed to keep stable since ive had it I still cannot work out what is causing the ph increase though
Old 03-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the tap water ph?
Are you using crushed coral as a substrate or any other ph buffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tap water is 7 and no I checked and my gravel is fine I have fake plants aswell I just don't understand it
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndw View Post
Ever since I've had my tank setup my water always seems to read a ph if 8-8.5 my tap water is always neutral so there is something in the tank causing it I just haven't worked out what yet. However my question is, is this a harmful ph for my fish ?
My tank runs 8.2-8.4. I've had my tank for almost 4 years. I was concerned at first as I thought I could only keep certain fish. Only to find out its one of the bigger myths that fish can't live in high ph. Yes their are a few fish out there that need lower ph/soft water but I'll say 90% of freshwater fish can adapt to whatever you have. Keep it stable and make sure you acclimate slow and they'll be fine
Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
My tank runs 8.2-8.4. I've had my tank for almost 4 years. I was concerned at first as I thought I could only keep certain fish. Only to find out its one of the bigger myths that fish can't live in high ph. Yes their are a few fish out there that need lower ph/soft water but I'll say 90% of freshwater fish can adapt to whatever you have. Keep it stable and make sure you acclimate slow and they'll be fine

That's good news then. Thanks a lot
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully there's not much of a swing when you do water changes. It may be better to do a few smaller changes during the week instead of one big one. All this talk about the importance of a stable pH is great and all, but if your water is going from 7 to 8.5 then your pH isn't all that stable.

At any rate, pH doesn't increase via magic. Something is causing a significant change.
Id start by double checking your tap water. Before testing , let it set in a container over night and either leave an air stone running or give it a good stirring from time to time. This should give you a more accurate reading. In fact, it'll probably be lower than the reading you get straight from the tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
ndw
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tested my tap water it was 7-7.5 I left it over night and it had Risen to 8-8.5 for whatever reason I done a water change yesterday and tested my tank ph and it was at about 8 so I'm hoping that the shift in ph during changes isn't to bad

Tags
level, ph level, ph levels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com