Ph of 8.4 - should i worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting up a 29 gallon community fish tank.

The pH in our area is very high. Out of the tap and in my tank it's at 8.4.

My local fish store just told me I should leave it there, as trying to manipulate the pH is going to create an unbalanced tank. Too much fluctuation.

Do you agree with this – or is important to bring it down closer to seven for community tank?

Just keep it stable and remember that ammonia toxicity is increased with a higher PH, so be judicious about keeping ammonia at 0 and do extra water changes when it's anything higher during the cycle or any subsequent mini-cycles.

Fiddling with pH, especially lowering it, usually causes more problem then it solves. IMO, let it be.

I have a 29g community tank and my ph was 8.4 in the beginning. No issues at all. Awhile ago I add driftwood and it lowered to 7.2-7.6

I wouldn't mess with ph either.

For comparison purposes ph to fish is like humidity to humans. The fish can adjust and as long as everything is stable they will be fine.

Depending on the tank, all of mine are between 8.2 and 8.6. Like others have said, messing with the ph causes more problems then it fixes. Unless you are wanting to keep super ph sensitive fish, don't worry

Back
Top Bottom