PH Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hilroy50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know there are lots of threads on PH, but I was hoping I could get some suggestions. I measured my PH tonight and it was around 8.6. I currently have one Hagen CO2 unit going and about to add another. Should I add peat to my filter?? I just don't like the tea colour of the water. If I add peat, how much should I add? I have a 33 gal. My kh is around 180ppm. Is there a way to take the colouration out once the water is softened and the ph is down?? I want to avoid chemicals. Thanks.

The PH of my tap water is about 7.2-7.4 right out of the tap. I've never let it sit to measure it, but it must really be close to 7.6-7.8.

What kind of substrate are you using and do you have any sort of rock decorations? For your pH to be that high something in the tank must be raising it.

maybe from the evaporation the hardness stayed in there and if you just added new water without changing any then it would make it harder? sry 2 ask but how and when do you do your water changes?

Well to put it simply, there is something in the tank or water affecting the ph. What type of gravel are you using? What do you use for water additives?

Try this: leave a cup of tap water in a glass over night and then measure pH. If you have an airpump, leaving an airstone in the glass is an even better way to get rid of the gasses in the water and you will be able to get an accurate measurement of the pH in the tap water.

Should I add peat to my filter??
IME, peat doesn't affect the pH very much.

Is there a way to take the colouration out once the water is softened and the ph is down??
Carbon filter

I currently have one Hagen CO2 unit going and about to add another.
Be careful if you are going to adjust the hardness of your water when using CO2, lowering hardness affects the buffers and you may experience a pH crash.

The only way I have been able to keep the pH under control in my tank is by using store-bought ro water and adding electrolytes to get the desired pH. Do what Menagerie suggested, and let us know the results.

Thanks everyone. I think this is going to be a battle. After 48hrs, my kh is down to about 6.0, but as Shawmutt says, the PH is not coming down. I have to do what Menagerie says. I removed the CO2 unit at the same time as adding the Peat. Would there be any benefit in getting municipal water?? I don't think the Lake water is as hard as my well water. I will have to test it.

Back
Top Bottom