pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn2464

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is very similar to a previous thread about pH levels, except currently mine is at 8.2. Is the level still safe for my neon tetras and swordtails? A week ago we moved our tank along with 70% of the original water. We noticed after the move that our snails were beginning to die which we originally assumed was because of stress from the move. We regularly test our water and noticed our nitrates were pretty high, which we assumed were due to the snails dying. Since then we have been removing the snails, and done two 25% water changes. The nitrate levels have been going down, but the pH level has stayed relatively the same. Today the rest of the levels were the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40

We also tested the water from the tap at our new location and its pH is around 7.4-7.8.

So, I guess all I'm asking is do you guys think we should be worrying about the pH?

If the ph is stable and your fish are and have been fine then don't worry about it. Most fish acclimate to the ph of the water and it's better to have a stable ph than try changing it.

Hello Jenn...

The acidity or alkalinity of your tap water is unimportant. Other than the rare breeds, the others will adapt. Just use the treatment that removes the usual chemicals the city people put into the water to make safe to drink. Small water changes aren't nearly as effective in keeping a stable water chemistry as larger changes.

I change out half the water every two weeks in my tanks that require it and don't fret over the chemical makeup of the tap water. Change a large amount of the tank water every week or two and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

Yeah don't worry about the ph , ph is very hard to change and doesn't do to mine is also around 8.0 for my African cichlids and they have been fine for almost 2 years

Freahwater_King

Back
Top Bottom