PH tablets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emclenaghan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever used these?

I put one in my 10 gallon yesterday to lower the pH, major fail!! Anyways, now it looks like everything in the tank is dusty and if I "dust" it just kicks it back up into the water where it floats around looking all gross until it settles back all over everything. Is it going to go away? Is it going to harm my fish? I have used these in my 55 gallon before but never had this happen!

Why are looking to lower your pH? If it's to try and get the "ideal pH" for your fish then forget it. Fish will adapt to your tank's native pH ... by that I mean the pH of your PWC water source. If it's your tap and it's a bit higher ... usually not a problem.

There are members here that have fish in 8.4pH water ... no problems. I wouldn't use any chemicals to artificially alter pH ... can lead to unexpected pH swings. Driftwood or peat is a good way to lower pH gradually using more natural sources IMO.

For now ...some PWC's w/ gravel vac to get rid of some of the excess pH tablets and keeping the pH stable is the important key.

Good luck keep us updated!

I know, honestly, I just posted on another thread yesterday and said almost exactly what you just told me.

Why I put that stupid tab in the tank? I don't know... I think it was just a momentary lapse of judgement and the fact that I had these things laying around. They did nothing to the pH!

I just want to know about this crud around my tank!

As long as it doesn't crash your pH you'll be fine with some PWC's and Gravel vac. Nice thing about fish .. they wont lie to you .... if they're being negatively affected you'll know.

See that's the thing, and why I panicked a little. My water is testing 10-20 for nitrates, and not quite a .25 on ammonia. We just got some glofish and neon tetras yesterday. Both the tetras died and 2 out of 4 glofish are dead too. The remaining 2 are very listless and the Betta, well, I can't really tell how he is feeling. He is probably fine. I just am thinking that maybe it was shock that did them in, I did all the steps to accustom them to the tank before adding them in to the water. I didn't just dump them in. I guess maybe I just forgot how fragile the little guys can be, I am used to cichlids.

Emclenaghan said:
See that's the thing, and why I panicked a little. My water is testing 10-20 for nitrates, and not quite a .25 on ammonia. We just got some glofish and neon tetras yesterday. Both the tetras died and 2 out of 4 glofish are dead too. The remaining 2 are very listless and the Betta, well, I can't really tell how he is feeling. He is probably fine. I just am thinking that maybe it was shock that did them in, I did all the steps to accustom them to the tank before adding them in to the water. I didn't just dump them in. I guess maybe I just forgot how fragile the little guys can be, I am used to cichlids.

Where did u get them ? Some fish are just not hardy when u get them ...

Ok, now I really have to hang my head in shame.......Petsmart. I know better but I feel so bad for their fish. The employees at mine are idiots!! I cringe at the bad advice I hear there so I considered it more of a rescue than anything else.... One of them came out of the bag looking half squished when I got them home... Poor fishies!

Emclenaghan said:
Ok, now I really have to hang my head in shame.......Petsmart. I know better but I feel so bad for their fish. The employees at mine are idiots!! I cringe at the bad advice I hear there so I considered it more of a rescue than anything else.... One of them came out of the bag looking half squished when I got them home... Poor fishies!

I just got some at PetSmart too even though I've had the WORST luck... I tried another location this time... I've got some
At this one b4 but they were mixed with some from the other location so I'm not positive of the culprit but the one I got them from this time seems more knowledgeable . I've got mine in QT right now... I got goldfish so I'm crossing my fingers... My qt is cycling and I hate that I wanna give myself a kick in the pants!! If I took them back they'd wind up dead or with someone who don't understand cycling. Hopefully they'll make it to their cycled 55 soon :D we all make mistakes we just learn from them... I told my husband I don't EVER want to get fish again b4 my tanks are cycled

We just went and took back the dead ones. We left with 2 more, hopefully they work out better. I just posted a thread about my experience with their fish department guy today....ridiculous!

Don't feel too bad about getting them there ...actually ... the fish I've gotten from Petsmart are still going strong(y).

Sounds like you had a combo of bad stock and sensitive fish.

Out of the 7 we now only have 2, one of the glofish and the Betta. When I took the dead ones back we got 2 more glofish and everybody we have now seems to be doing great! Crossing my fingers!!

Back
Top Bottom