PH to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnanthony74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys my ph is running about 7.6
ammonia is perfect 0ppm nitrate and nitrite are also 0ppm
I test using api freshwater liquid test kit.

i have a 55 gallon with a electric blue jack dempsey a fire mouth, and two convit cichlids.

i also have the same result on my 20 gal with 3 convict cichlids.

so what steps should i do to bring that down to around 7.0 ppm on the ph level

thank you

How long have your fish been in the tank? pH is overrated IMO ... it's not necessary to have your pH exactly as what is "recommended" in literature and what LFS's say. Generally, your tank's pH will be similar to your PWC source ... usually tap water. As long as your pH stays consistent, your fish will adapt to the slightly higher pH and will be fine. It's sudden pH swings that shock and kill fish.

If your set on lowering pH ... add Driftwood is a natural way of doing it, without adding chemicals.

Avoid any chemical additives to bring down pH, as you'll be constantly having issues with pH shock during water changes.

If your tap water is excessivly bad, you can try a DI or RO/DI filter to pretreat the water before water changes.

I have an EBJD in soft Mid 7's. I wouldn't mess with the PH at all, you are well within a decent range.

Your stocking plan may have some issues though, but that's another subject.

I have an EBJD in soft Mid 7's. I wouldn't mess with the PH at all, you are well within a decent range.

Your stocking plan may have some issues though, but that's another subject.

ok so pls tell me about my stocking plans here, i want to move the convicts to another tank i have and put a yellow lab in with the blue ... so that will leave 2 african cichlids, 1 pleco and the firemouth. i will move the convicts to the 20 with the others till my other tank shows up for them guys.

7.6 isnt high ... anyways ... pea moss is the best way to down ur ph ...

Back
Top Bottom